1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

75mm Stalker/Post Apocalyptic

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kimmo, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Kimmo A Fixture

My next project is another figure that's been in the stash for some time and I thought it would make a relatively quick project. Someday, that might even be the case... I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I have no idea whose figure this is. I won a bid on a lot of Evolution Stalkers in 1/35th and had just assumed it was another one of the series. So if anyone can shed some light on the manufacturer, please holler. I was thinking about swapping the head and realised it was not 1/35 but 75mm, or thereabouts. The sculpting is rather well done for the most part, the hands were a disappointment though, and casting seams were minimal. The fingers are way too thin and the casting of the hands and shotgun was a bit rougher than the rest of the figure. I fixed the fingers as best I could and added a new trigger guard. I also added a strap to the knife sheath as it looked kind of weird with only one side attached. Back to the head, I had to rework the eyeballs as one had a blemish and the intact eyeball was a little too bulged for my taste. Some scraping and a wee dab of putty gave me something I could live with although not perfect. Fortunately he's looking down so the eyes aren't really a focal point. The figure came with a base, which was interesting enough on its own, but I decided to enlarge the scene somewhat and add some height so I could get depth to the shaft. The cover was a major letdown, I think the mold had been squeezed when the resin was still soft and is decidedly oblate. I whipped up a new cover from styrene sheet I had chucked into my mini-drill and then scribed the pattern. Not perfect, but works for me. The ground cover is Vallejo Rough Pumice for the added fill, medium coarse sand, leaf debris and some scatter and foam for added texture. I might add some more ground scatter or whole leaves, we'll see how things progress.

PA031756.JPG

PA031757.JPG

PA031758.JPG

PA031759.JPG

I primed the base with the first bottle of primer that came to hand, Vallejo NATO Green surface primer in this case with a touch of black, just to get a good base coat to check for imperfections and to really get the groundwork stuck down. Then the figure got a coat of medium grey by mixing Scale75 primers as well for the same reason. Then I did a quick value sketch on everything with the Scale75s. I really like using them for this purpose, they have a longer working time than my normal go to, Vallejo surface primer, and dry dead flat.

PA041760.JPG

PA041761.JPG

PA041762.JPG

PA041763.JPG

Now I need to decide on what colours to go with for the clothing. I'm thinking I want a darker olive skin tone, just for a change of pace.

Kimmo
    Jed, Oda, lievenwynants and 2 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

No idea what a stalker is but it's a nice looking figure and ideal for you as a project

Following with interest

Happy bench time

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  3. Sergey Popovichenko A Fixture

Ukraine
    Oda and Nap like this.
  4. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Sergey is right. It is a figure from Tartar Miniatures. It is 54 mm and one of three. I had paint one of them some months ago

586_0.jpg Stalker02.jpg
    Nap and Oda like this.
  5. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Sergey and Ulrich!

For the life of me I couldn't find anything after a lot of searching, so glad that's cleared up. For a 54mm scale chap, he is rather large coming in at approximately 66mm which would be more in line with 1/30 scale as opposed to 1/32, but still a touch big. In any event, a nice enough figure to have a bash with.

Nap, you know me, I always have to do something a little out of the ordinary :cautious:

Kimmo
    Nap and Oda like this.
  6. Kimmo A Fixture

I got some initial work done today, couldn't be bothered to take photos during the base and wash stages, the paint was flowing too well even if the photos below don't look that great. Damn bench light.

PA051764.JPG

PA051765.JPG

PA051766.JPG

PA051767.JPG

PA051768.JPG

My basic colours are shown below excluding Red, Black, White and Light Yellow (and the MIA Dark Fleshtone) which are pretty standard for all my projects. I did a fair bit of adding a touch of this and a touch of that with the shadows and tones, but the rule of thumb was to add a touch of Olive Yellow to all the skin tones, and a touch of Red Violet and Prussian Blue to all shadows. The skin base (mostly Beige Brown with a touch of Dark Fleshtone and Flat Flesh) was quite dark, and darkened even more with the initial wash, a quick round of highlights and more defined shadow washes gets you pretty close to a swarthy look.

PA051770.JPG

PA051769.JPG

I was thinking about doing camo on the pants, but then sanity took hold. It would be pretty tricky to get the pattern done properly on his upper left thigh, and the folds are all quite deep, which looks nice, but makes painting small splotches rather difficult. I'll start to refine the shading next and get more of the detail picked out.

Kimmo
    Jed, Nap and Oda like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

You carry on doing something different ...always good to see , more nice updates and good to hear the paint was flowing for you

Camo ........go on you know you want to .....tricky yes ...but ...........sanity is good .....LOL

Happy benchtine

Nap
  8. Kimmo A Fixture

Insanity got the best of me and I went and added camo to the pants. In retrospect, I should have started with a lighter base coat, but it's getting there, a little more lightening of the mid grey is needed. Quite a bit of work on the rest of the figure as well. I added some texture with fine crosshatching on the jacket, and some stripes running across the width of the straps to bring them out some more. The base has been started and is shaping up nicely, still a fair bit of fiddly work to be done on everything. And I figured out why the photos were a little off, I forgot to change the white balance back to workbench mode.

PA081771.JPG

PA081772.JPG

PA081773.JPG

PA081774.JPG

PA081775.JPG

I'm happy with progress so far, now I can get a good look at the overall shading go from there.

Kimmo
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi my friend

Ye Hah!!!!!......insanity has found you , looks good came so far ...and crosshatching !

Thanks for updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap! I can't seem to help myself...

A bit more work done today, lots of touch up and the groundwork.

PA091776.JPG

PA091777.JPG

PA091778.JPG

PA091779.JPG

PA091780.JPG

Almost there.

Kimmo
    Scott Sheltz, Nap and Martin64 like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Good groundwork there Kimmo works well with figure

Happy benchtime

Nap
  12. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap!

I think I'm just about ready to call this one done.

PA101781.JPG

PA101782.JPG

PA101783.JPG

PA101784.JPG

I'll give it the once over tomorrow and glue him down then take some good photos.

Kimmo
    Scott Sheltz and Nap like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kimmo

Looks good to me the figure certainly blends well with the base work , like the way you have painted the manhole cover

Thanks for sharing the SBS

Happy benchtine

Nap
  14. Kimmo A Fixture

Cheers Nap!

Final shots done and a gallery is up here. As is customary, a preview:

12.JPG

Thanks to everyone who followed along and commented.

Kimmo
    Old Pete likes this.