1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

75mm Flats Native Americans

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Conny has sure inspired alot of interest in flats and this has hit me too. 15 years ago I ordered a set of 10, 75mm Speyer Flats from Chuck Robinson, of The Red Lancers. As this was a special order and he did not carry them after several weeks I recieved them in the mail. I had always thought all flats were just sculpted on one side. I was really surprised to see these were sculpted on both sides. After figuring out how I was going to display the finished flat, I ordered 10 bases from John Kuchar, of the Base Camp based upon bases I had seen while at Joe Keenen's house.

Here are the remaining flats that I have painted from this series of 10. Several I sold and I have several more to complete yet. 2 of these flats earned me a gold at The Washington show in the Flat Category and the other earned a silver.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Second one

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Final 3rd flat

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks Konrad and Roy for the inspiration to have another go at painting flats. I hope in the 15 years since I painted these, my skills will show an improvement.
  2. whdamon New Member

United-States
    Let me guess....The ManDan got the GOld. I love the blanket. Walt Damon
  3. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    I like the Mandan too, he's certainly the most eye-catching of the trio..and I think they're made all the more attractive being presented so well.

Very nice work Guy...

Roy.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Walt and Roy for the feedback.

Walt - The Mandan earned my first gold in flats and the Minatarre Chief earned my second gold the following year. The other took a silver in the 3 rd year.

Thanks Roy.........the blanket took awhile but was worth the time and effort.
  5. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Well now Mr. Herrick..........what DON'T you paint?! :lol: They look really good Guy. My vote is for the first one though. The flesh tones are dead on. Terrific job ;) . What other surprises are you hiding over there in OK?

Jim Patrick
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, very nice , you sure know your indians.... ;)

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc.
  7. conny Active Member

Germany
    Hello Guy,
    verry well painted job, I like the different paintings of the leather. ;)
    Conny
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Guy,

I must say that the gold and silver where well diserved.
    Konrad, Roy and yourselff setting the flats at the planet. (y) (y)

Marc
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback and kind words guys........I appreciate them.
  10. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    wow...superb Guy, this flat figures require more attention to lights and shadows, amazing works...
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ernest...........you should try one sometime.........would love to see your skills applied to a flat.
  12. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great job Guy, you've taken to painting flats really well - wish I could!!!
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Stephen. They are not as hard to paint as alot of people think.......try one.
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Guy,

This is a great series and you've done it great justice. (y)

This is an excellent reminder of how good (informative and accurate) the original Bodmer paintings were. Another superb series also based on the Bodmer paintings are the semi-flats sculpted by Fabrice Eisenbach.

EISENBACH Indian semi-flats

Quang
  15. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guy

Good set of flats, very well painted, should have been three golds. Well Done

I am just about to have a go at my first flat, it seems at just the right time with the increase in interest on the planet... :)

Dave
  16. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Well done, Guy!

I think you, Roy and Conny will start a trend here with flats.

Jason
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jason. I hope we do as it is a long overlooked part of our hobby. I found them imtimidating at first but found they paint up very similar to a full round. What I learned in using "lighting" I still use on my full rounds today. I wish I had a photo of my 1st flat. It was the toughest one as it was a Hidatsi Dog Dancer, much like Almond's, only smaller and "flat".
  18. Bruno New Member

Hi Guy,

my congratualtions for this very very nice flat painted figurines! Great worke! You cought the feeling of the paintings of Karl Bodmer and transformed it to your flat figurines.
    I especially love the Mandan Holy Man, the Quillworke is excellent painted!

Walk on the red road of life

Best greatings from Germany

Bruno