1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 74mm Coracero Escolta "Libertad" 1837-1840

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Aug 3, 2018.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello folks,
    While i am working on finishing few projects i have added one more i 've been wanting to get my hands on, in this case is a figure brought from Argentina from a Friend as a gift, he made the conversion from an original.
    The figure represents the personal bodyguard of the Gobernor of Buenos Aires, during his tirant "Rule" was the civil war know as "unitarios" y "Federales", as almost expected with a new Nation, once they are not longer under "Daddy's rule" fight between brothers break out lol.
    Here is a little background about this Ruler:
    Juan Manuel de Rosas (30 March 1793 – 14 March 1877), nicknamed "Restorer of the Laws",[A] was a politician and army officer who ruled Buenos Aires Province and briefly the Argentine Confederation. Although born into a wealthy family, Rosas independently amassed a personal fortune, acquiring large tracts of land in the process. Rosas enlisted his workers in a private militia, as was common for rural proprietors, and took part in the disputes that led to numerous civil wars in his country. Victorious in warfare, personally influential, and with vast landholdings and a loyal private army, Rosas became a caudillo, as provincial warlords in the region were known. He eventually reached the rank of brigadier general, the highest in the Argentine Army, and became the undisputed leader of the Federalist Party.

Credits to Wikipedia by the way.
    You will see a bunch of illustrations, some show the jacket in red, others in Blue, still confirming the sources, you will also see blackened breastplates , but good sources told me they were not blackened and wore silver instead, so, here i am with an unusual piece from my motherland and happy to be able to share some of the history of these forgotten uniforms in the Miniature world.
    Cheers 05f16496b888096280180e9928995400.jpg 1839 - Coraceros - Litografía de Carlos Morel (1813-1894)2.jpg 1839 - Uniforme de coracero federal.jpg 20180802_210917.jpg 20180803_232222.jpg 20180803_232248.jpg
    CHRONOS, marco55, KenBoyle and 4 others like this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I will make this figure a Standard bearer of the Cuirassiers bodyguard.[
    The flag was all red , the "Bonnet de la Liberte" in gold on each 4 corners, a gold sun in the center as well as the inscriptions : long live the Argentine Confederation and on the bottow "death to the Savage Unitarios" and all the way at the bottow " Regimiento Escolta Libertad.
    On the second picture is Juan Manuel de Rosas, Gobernor of Buenos Aires.

1840 - Estandarte del Regimiento 'Escolta Libertad'.jpg Juan_Manuel_de_Rosas_by_Descalzi_oval.png
    Nap, Vital, Viking Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another great project in the making Daniel, love the blackened breast plate with the red.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  4. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks Bob, i am glad you like it :)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Always like you projects. Far away from my periode of interest.
    Nontheless really good stuff,
    Looking forward to the finish.

Marc
    MarquisMini likes this.
  6. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    This is a great project; will be following. I like the red uniform with the cuirass. How do you plan to do the flag; paper or decal (shrunk down to size)?
    MarquisMini likes this.
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks Marc, it will be a lot of work :)
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks!.
    I have some lead foil, i will hand paint it .
    Best regards
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I have prime the figure with my usual Automotive primer.
    I have added some ground on the base, still lots to do.
    Last, i have painted the Red Bonnet with gold trim.
    Added more facial hair and layed the base color for the face. 20180804_164306.jpg 20180804_184110.jpg 20180804_184120.jpg 20180804_165337.jpg 20180804_170718.jpg
    marco55 and KenBoyle like this.
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
  11. Vital Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Vivo Juan Manuel de Rosas! Vivo Argentina!
    Siempre soñé con modelar a don Juan Facundo Quiroga!
    MarquisMini likes this.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Gracias, me alegro que te guste la figura.
    Quiroga seria muy buena figura para modelar.
    Hay bastante imfo en internet.
    Saludos
    Vital likes this.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hay mucha historia, y hay inclusive una maqueta del.asesinato de Quiroga.
    Facundo.jpg Barranca_Yaco_2.jpeg WhatsApp-Image-2018-06-14-at-08.34.09.jpeg
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Finished the troussers and worked on the breast plate, i have used Testors enammel silver as a base, once dried oit few washes of black wash mixed with gunmetal grey.
    After that i decided to use a product i bought at the craft store today, it is a silver paste to rub on and then you brush it off, i really like the result .
    20180805_134653.jpg 20180805_134641.jpg 20180805_135211.jpg
  15. Vital Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Information I received many years ago, read the book, Sarmiento's "Facundo." I did not know that there is such a beautiful monument to him. It is a pity that is the theme of Latin America is little represented. If only I had less orders ...
    MarquisMini likes this.
  16. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great so far, as usual, looking forward to seeing more (y)
    Phil
    MarquisMini likes this.
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is looking great Daniel. Love your groundwork, Very, very nice.
    The figure is off to a good start too.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks Phil :)
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Glad you like it Bob, lots of painting ahead .
    Cheers
    Oda likes this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Daniel

I see I shall have to keep a watch on you young man...lol

Cracking subject my friend ...paintings coming along really well ......and it's going to be a standard bearer as well ....are you going for blue or red uniform , blue woukd be a nice contrast to the standard .

Agree with Vital the Southern American uniforms are packed full of great subjects

Following with interest

Nap
    Oda and MarquisMini like this.