1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 70mm Luke and Yoda

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Nov 6, 2010.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi all,
    I have started this great kit from Knight Models, it is the first one I have started but do have a few of the others waiting in the grey army. The kit goes together very well with no fit problems, just a slight bit of extra work around where the neck joins with the shirt. At first I wasn't sure about the detail but after I primed it, I was quite astounded with how much there actually is, how well it was sculpted, and how accurate it was to the film.

So far I have base coated the whole kit with Vallejo's and then shaded with oils to the flesh, Luke's shirt and Yoda. I do think that Lukes flesh needs something more, but not sure what yet, I also need to tone down his eyes and do a little touch up here and there.

Any comments or advise, please feel free

Ben

Attached Files:

John Bowery, rej, SRP and 3 others like this.
  2. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hmm.......Like it I do!

Great work. Yoda looks very lifelike.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great start Ben, I'd just push the contrasts a little more on the fleshy bits. For the wise ones hair, I've seen soft toy stuffing used to great effect.
    Carl.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great painting it is, young Jedi.

Luke's hair colour could be a little browner, but overall a great start.

Yoda looks fantastic.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in the flesh tommorrow mate.
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers for that guys, appreciate the input, and just knew I would get the yoda sayings!!!! I am very pleased with how Yoda has come out and I think I just may add some hair as well.

Carl, I think you are right and have since added a darker wash in the deepest recesses and will add a highlight or two soon to see how that works.

Tony, cheers mate, have already darkened the hair and it looks a ton better. You wont see him tomorow unfortunately, I have a family thing to attend, but will catch you soon

Ben
  6. tony66 Member

Australia
    Lovely work Ben
    I really like the quality of knight models figures and your painting so far is spot on!
    Tony Del
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ben,

I've got your Lighthorse bust for you mate. Give me a call to pop over and pick it up.
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ya Tony and Tony!!!

Cheers for the update, will give you a call sometime soon Mr Dawe

Ben
  9. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    What a cracking kit! And I can see signs of a bold painter here and there, quite promising!

Will follow closely.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    They are looking allready great.
    Yoda is superbe.
    Luke needs some more definition into the high and shades.
    But you mentioned that yourself.
    Looking forward to your next step.

marc
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for that Michael and Marc, I have already done a few touch ups to Luke and will post photos over the next day or so. I have added more shadowing which have made it look better, but still need to add some extreme highlights. I have also just started to add some oils to the backpack and trousers.
    Ben
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ben,
    Looks good so far and nice colour for Yoda.
    Cheers
    John
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi All,
    Thanks to all who have given me some advise, and I have taken some updated photos of what I have done so far. I have added some more shadows and extreme highlights to Lukes flesh, darkened his hair and added a bit more grime and sweat to his shirt. I have also finished off the backpack and added some hair to yoda. So far I have completed from his waist up except maybe a touch up here or there, and need to finish off the trousers and boots, that have just had some very basic shading.
    Any comments are welcome
    Ben

Attached Files:

14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    A real improvement on the first set of pics Ben. You could perhaps add some Satin gloss on Luke's skin to simulate sweat.
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    Yep, dont worry that will be coming. It will be the last thing I do before finishing him
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Ben, all you have to do now is build a swamp to put them in.;)
    Carl.
  17. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers for that Carl

HEHE, yeah I plan to do a base other than the little one you get with the kit, a nice forest look with heaps of dead leaves and gnarled trees sounds good. Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever uses a kit base yet!!!!
    Ben
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ben,

Perhaps you could do a swamp wedgie with a piece of Luke's X wing fighter protruding from the water covered in weeds and swamp muck??
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Not a bad idea there Tony!!!!
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Update - almost done!!!

Back again,
    I have almost finished the figure and need to start on the base. I have shaded the trousers and boots and added some mud effect, will add more once it is fixed to the base. I will also add some sweat to Luke.
    Any comments are welcome
    Ben

Attached Files: