1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 6th Inniskilling Dragoons 1901, South Africa.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Geoff Charman, May 5, 2019.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Geoff.
    That is a very nice tunic love the light washed out khaki look.
    Keep it up.
    Mick
    Geoff Charman likes this.
  2. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Nap,...I have some highlights as I painted it and as usual it doesn't show up very well in the pic, but will see as it dries, but if it looks as it does in the "flesh" it will be left as is.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Nap likes this.
  3. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Mick, really appreciate it.

Cheers
    Geoff
    mick3272 likes this.
  4. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great Geoff. Are you using the Mars colors on the leather?
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Geoff, the tunic is very good, whats your colour mix for it?
    I also tend to use oils for leather effects also.
  6. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks, I take it that Mars is a make of Artist's oils, no I use Winsor & Newton "Winton" Artist's Oils.

Geoff
  7. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Bob.
    The colours I used were 2 thin coats of Vallejo ModelAir 028 Sand Yellow over the white primer with the shading of ModelColor 843/133 Cork Brown, then using MA 075 Sand diluted again just on the high points, again a couple of coats of that.

Yes I get the best leather look with oils but I have use the Vallejo leather with an overcoat of their Smoke which works well on smaller scale busts and figures.

Geoff
    Viking Bob likes this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Sorry for the confusion Geoff. I use WN colors too. I was referring to the color of the paint like mars yellow, brown, , etc.orange
  9. Geoff Charman A Fixture

No problem mate, I used a mix of Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna and Vandyke Brown and highlighted with Yellow Ochre.

Geoff
  10. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I have finished him, just a bit of dry-brushing using Naples Yellow Artist's oils on the leather and happy with him now.

P1130798 (2).JPG P1130794 (2).JPG P1130793 (2).JPG P1130795 (2).JPG P1130796 (2).JPG

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement during this bust and the other three of Mick's Mick's busts.

Just one more to do, Sgt. Major C.A. Burt, Irish Guards 1902 in Scarlet tunic and full bearskin, a big model with that on his head.

Cheers
    Geoff
  11. mick3272 A Fixture

Very nice Geoff.
    As already said tunic colour is first class sets it of a treat.
    Great job.
    Look forward to seeing Burt. & of course all five together in the final pics
    Mick
    Geoff Charman and Viking Bob like this.
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's a fantastic finish and very well done. I think the leather bandolier is superb.
    I have a hard act to follow.
  13. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thank you so much Mick, I was going to put them all together for the finale after Burt, so great minds think alike.;)

Geoff
    mick3272 likes this.
  14. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Bob, I glad the leather came up right, I can only seem to do it in oils.

Cheers
    Geoff
  15. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Lovely work as always Geoff! As others have said, the leather turned out amazing.(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Geoff

Great result ...AGAIN !!

Look forward to seeing Burt and all together

Talking of Sgt Majors ...not the man himself but .......same period and possibly might have known SM Burt

image.jpeg

Nap
  17. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thank you Ken.

Cheers
    Geoff
    KenBoyle likes this.
  18. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Nap, That is a great photograph mate shall have have a copy of that, if I may.

Cheers
    Geoff
    Nap likes this.
  19. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

C/Sgt Scots Guards may have but doubt it as the regiments would not have served together.
    Nap, Geoff Charman and mick3272 like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England

Indeed SG , just love the picture just so period ....maybe they met in the mess or the drillground !

Nap