1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

6th Alamo Scouts

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Long, Jun 9, 2004.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Utilizing components from Michael Roberts, Preiser, Historex, and Airfix, this is my rendition of an Alamo Scout. The cap is unfinished, and I noticed in the picture that the shoulder seems too broad & rounded off.

[IMG]
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good John!
  3. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    John,

What's the best way to make that sling you've got on there?

-Alex

(oops. lookin great by the way ! who are the 6th alamo scouts?)

-Alex
  4. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys.

Alex, the sling came with the weapon. It is nice, unfortunately, it may have to come off. The Alamo Scouts were a deep recon unit that operated in the PTO during WWII. The Scouts ran over 100 missions behind enemy lines without losing a man. They operated in small teams of dedicated individuals. Many of their missions remain have been classified until recently. The link named is a terrific resource for the Scouts.
  5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking great so far John! I know your not close to working on the base, but what type of foliage are we going to see?
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Very nice. It looks like we possibly could be treated to a neat jungle setting.~Gary
  7. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's looking good john, I think maybe the left arm and shoulder could go a little higher as well, maybe a millimetre or 2
  8. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi John

Excellent subject, and a great 'frankenstein' concoction of parts.
    Who makes the weapon?

I agree with Leigh on the the left arm. After Quang pointed out the arm issue on my GI, I placed my finger on my shoulder at the front while relexed, then raised my arm. It's quite amazing just how much the shoulder does raise.

Rob
  9. Patrick Kirk New Member

John,
    Broad shoulders on a Scout are never a bad thing! ;) Trust me! Not much out there on the Alamo Scouts, which makes this figger even better! Can't wait to see you bring him to life...
    All the best

Patrick
  10. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks fellas. I'll look the shoulder over again. The Thompson is a brass casting from Cal-Scale I think. VLS carries both of the lines of brass weapons and accessories, but I don't remember which one made this one. The figure will definitely be placed in a dense jungle setting. I haven't worked out the final composition yet.
  11. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    Hey John, Looks good so far, look forward to more progress photos. By the way, what scale is it? 1/35 or larger?
    Thanks
    Rob
  12. Pete_H New Member

John,
    Looking good so far. What about unblousing the trousers? By the way, I read somkewhere that the book "Ghost Soldiers" is being made into a feature film - lucky you! ;)
  13. Patrick Kirk New Member

Good point Petey...and maybe some frayed edges on the blouse too...sorta adds to the "drama" of the piece...

Your thoughts, John?

Hope all is well

Patrick
  14. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Great looking figure! You have some very creative ideas. The pose of your figure reminds me of a pose often drawn by comic artist, Jack Kirby, for Marvel Comics, Cpt. Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders. Looking forward to see the "Alamo Scout' completed as well as the awesome groundwork.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin
  15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,

As always, you come up with some pretty neat ideas. I look forward to seeing this one come together.

Joe
  16. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks gang. It's 1/32 scale. I'll weather the figure some. I've redone the cap four times so far. I'm not exactly happy with it. I may have to live with it.
  17. Pete_H New Member

WHOA!!! 1/32? Dude, I definitely need to know where you got the accessories.

Cheers!