1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

6th Alamo Scout pt.3

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Long, Jul 1, 2004.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's the mockup of the groundwork and the beginnings of the vegetation. It's pretty rudimentary right now. Right now I just want to work out the composition and integrate the figure with the groundwork. My good friend Anders advised me to change the head position and I like it better.

[IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He is looking good John..........look forward to seeing him progress
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John,

Yeah I definately think this works a lot better. When he was looking at the viewer it was kind of un-natural, now it really looks like he is moving through the jungle.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, I like the figure and groundwork idea very much. You really have a knack for staging. It'll be neat to see this develope.~Gary
  5. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    John,

That looks great, what a difference a little change makes !!

Can't wait to see the vegetation all built up...keep us posted!

-Alex
  6. Patrick Kirk New Member

Looks great so far, John. What's the scale on this?

Hope all is well

Patrick
  7. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks gang. These mockups are a real help in staging. I messed up a project one time by not planning ahead. It turned out okay, but not as well as if I had planned a little.

Patrick, it's a 54mm figure. I used Airfix and Preiser parts for the body, and salvaged the boots/leggings from a MR ltd. reject casting.
  8. Patrick Kirk New Member

Very impressive John...looking forward to more!

All the best

Patrick
  9. Pete_H New Member

John,
    The head's new position definitely looks better. From which MR kit did the boots & leggings come from?
  10. John Long Active Member

United-States
    The Paul Isom kit.
  11. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    VERY,VERY NICE,John (y) (y) !! Looking forward to the next step in your vignette. BTW,how did you get the "vines" to stand so upright ? Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  12. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's the latest. I haven't been updating too much lately, but I have been working.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Kenneth, The vines are just dried roots stuck into the clay. If you look at the second pic I think you'll see holes drilled into the base to accomodate the vines.
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    That looks AWESOME John!

Did you paint the groundwork with oils? The moss on the underside of the rocks is a nice touch. Well done my friend!!
  14. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Jason. I did use oils on the groundwork. Some is oils over acrylics. I've had pretty fair luck using straight oils over the bare putty for depicting rock. It stains the putty and you can paint veins of different colors into the rock. I usually use sepia thinned slightly and applied liberally. Then I dab at it with a tissue until I'm satisfied.

If you couldn't tell from my last few projects, I've become fascinated lately with trees growing from outcroppings with their roots exposed.
  15. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Very good job John. I too love your groundwork. Looks like the 'hill' is contructed using plant foam? Did you just putty over it? If so, is it rigid enough to not crack when handled?

-jim cox
  16. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Jim.

It's floral foam alright. It's cheap and easy to carve. It'll turn to powder if you dont' seal it. I apply a liberal amount of carpenters glue before puttying over it
  17. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's excellent John! you've really got a knack for rock outcrops.
  18. Alex M. Active Member

Canada
    Well done John!

Can't wait to see what's next...those rocks look really great.

-Alex
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, As always great job on the groundwork. There's nothing like a piece where the figure amd groundwork have not recieved the same amount of attention in it's completion. Great stuff.~Gary
  20. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John,

Nice work. I agree with Gary, you always put a lot of effort into the scene and that is what make them so interesting.

Joe