1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 5th Hussars 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey All

This is one of the couple of projects I've started since the Ajax show. It's a 54mm French Hussar from Soldiers. According to the insert, he can be painted as any of the Hussar regiments (elite company) present at Waterloo, 1st through 7th. I have chosen the 5th regiment for this subject. I figured it was time to do something NOT dark blue and red. The white pelisse will be a challenge but I really need the practice... my whites are kinda weak:(.

The dark sky blue of the overalls, dolman and colpack bag were done with a base of Vallejo deep sky blue. Highlights are the base with Vj sky grey brought up in three stages. Shading was done by adding Prussian blue to the base in two stages and straight Prussian blue at the edges and seams. For what it's worth, this is a difficult colour for me... dark blue works much better for me:whistle:. Between this blue and the white pelisse, I've not been easy on myself.:unsure:
    IMGP0793.jpg IMGP0794.jpg IMGP0795.jpg IMGP0796.jpg IMGP0797.jpg
    The face is done and the colpack fur is strictly base coated with German grey.

Thanx for looking in, all comments welcome.

Cheers

Colin
    Grod, Aveleira, Krest063 and 3 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    You really are stretching yourself Colin. I have this figure somewhere in my grey army too I think. One day. Are you going to dirty him up at all? Shame to mess up that vibrant hue.

Colin (senior)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Colin, maybe a little mud on the boots and pant cuffs... he is an officer after all ;)

I'll bring him Saturday

Colin Junior
  4. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent start! Like the blue!
    Quick question, Sir! Are you painting the face with the head glued in place?
    Looking forward to see this guy.
    See you soon.
    Cheers mate,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno
    The head and body are cast as one piece. Being on the body isn't as much of a problem as the colpack being cast on... It overhangs the eyes and makes it hard to get at the eyes, though you really can't see them. At the end of the day, there isn't really much face to paint between the colpack, collar, chinscales and 'stache.

All that being said, for an older figure it is very well sculpted and cast.

See ya Saturday

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  6. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I did this one as a 5th Hussar too. It was nice to paint. Somewhere I have a Duck Turpin from the same company to do. It is almost exactly the same pose. Good figures both.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    God work so far, I like that blue.( I painted this figure too, long time ago, I chosen the 2nd regiment, you now, light blue and brown, I paited the right eye closed, as if he was pointing at)

Military miniatures painted by Eduardo Garcia
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Changing is good my friend! I'm a bit tired of blue and red, thats why I stopped
    for a while on that! The figure is nicely painted so far!

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. swralph A Fixture

nice start
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Guys
    Gonna take a run at the white pelisse later today... Any thoughts on a good way to approach this most hateful colour?
    Then it's the long process of endless lacework.

Colin
  11. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I painted mine with oils. Used white overall then added shading using tiny amounts of lamp black. Difficult but it works for me.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I've tried that way... with acrylics though, using black inks as washes. I've also tried basing in light grey bringing up to white in stages then shading back down through dark grey to black deep shade/lining at edges.
    The problem wasn't so much the technique as my hamfisted execution :unsure:
    I've used Andrea's white set as well to some success but it has an umber base that gives a brown undertone to the white... I wanted a grey undertone for this white.
    I have some oils but have not as yet tried them, so.... :nailbiting:

Colin
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    A little more...
    German grey base on the overalls leather liner and cuffs, touched the shading on the blue a bit more.
    IMGP0804.jpg IMGP0805.jpg IMGP0806.jpg IMGP0807.jpg
    Will start on the pelisse when I get back from my run to the reservation for cheap smokes :sneaky:

Cheers

Colin
    Aveleira and tiberius57 like this.
  14. Jazz A Fixture

England
    I'm afraid it's always trial and error with me. Sometimes it turns out good, sometimes bad. White can be a nightmare but looks stunning when done right. Good luck and looking forward to seeing how it turns out mate.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    A little progress...
    Blues are done as is the white of the pelisse. The yellow lace is first coated with goldbrown, it will then be highlighted up to the "lemon yellow" and washed with various brown and sepia inks.
    IMGP0808.jpg IMGP0809.jpg IMGP0810.jpg IMGP0811.jpg IMGP0812.jpg
    Been a kinda busy couple of weeks... hope to get back at it better next week.

Cheers

Colin
  16. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Very nice. Can't really tell from the photos but I think you need a bit more shadows in the white areas. Looking forward to seeing how the lacing turns out.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Missed the last update somehow. Really like the blues.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Keep the good work coming!!

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice update! The blue looks very. very good and, for sure, you will have a look to the white shading.
    Keep up the great work, Colin! I like a lot this figure and what you did so far! Will follow closely!
    Cheers mate.
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx guys
    The pics are a bit washed... #1 and 3 are about as close to real as they get. I did some shading but stopped to block in the base yellow of the lacing too get a better idea of how the white was shaping up. I may have to deepen the shading in some areas... Perhaps I should break out the oils I have (un opened and unused) :nailbiting:
    I hope to get some more done on this in the next week or so... as long as life stops getting in the way:blackeye:

Colin