1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

54mm Woodlands Indian - Sparta

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by pmacko, Mar 1, 2006.

1. pmacko Member

Those of you that collect Robert Griffings prints might recognize this figure from "Triumphant Return to Fort Duquesne'. It represents an American Indian allied with the French returning after defeating Braddock's army at the Battle of the Monongahela in 1755 near present day Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

This was a very nice figure to paint. Flesh was done in oils and the rest in Vallejo acrylics. I used RealGrass from diomaterials.com for the base along with some dried flowers from the craft store.

I am still trying to get the hang of digital photography (as well as painting). I tried taking these outside today as it's a sunny day but some of the color variations are a little washed out. I'll keep trying. Maybe an overcast day is better (probably a less cluttered background as well)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Paul,
    BEAUTIFUL I love the intensity of the colours Not to mention the great face :lol: :lol:
    John
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, Nice job. The figure is well sculpted, too bad the sculptor did not do his homework on regimental coats for that period. Are you going to take him to the IPMS show?~Gary
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice job. I have two Sparts figures on my workbench one is as nice as any Pegaso, Andrea, Elite figure on the market the other is a nightmare. How was this one to build?
  5. pmacko Member

Hi Gary,

That might be a good idea.
  6. Calvin Member

Hi Paul, I think your photo is right, what you need is some tool to adjust the pic's levels. Look at this. When taking shoots with the daylight it's better to avoid a direct exposure of your subject, try to filter some way the light and use the manual white balance if your camera allows it.

Attached Files:

7. pmacko Member

Hi Matthew,

I didn't have any trouble with this one other than the powderhorn didn't fit well under his arm. I could have easily fixed it but, stupidly, the first time I tried the fit, I already had a drop of Super Glue on it. This is the first Sparta I've built so now I'm curious as to what the next will be.

I have my eye on their 1758 British Grenadier in 54mm. Currently on the bench is a Pegaso and an Andre. Both 1815 Highlanders. Also La Meridina's French Marine. I'll use the Marine to break up the tartan work.
  8. pmacko Member

I agree but I don't feel my skills are up to making the modifications. Wonder where he got the collar from?
  9. Kyle Member

United-States
    Paul,

This is brilliant. I love the vibrancy of the colors. It looks like a really fun figure to paint, and you've done a masterful job.

Cheers,

Kyle
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, Not a biggie. The coat is almost a mix of a 1751 warrant and 1768 warrant coat with the collar and lapels leaning towards the latter. Though I tend to make a big deal out of such things, this was really an easy thing to get right. It does not take away too much from the figure as you could easily modify the coat with a little work, or do an Revolutionary War native. The most i,portant thing is that you enjoyed painting him up.~Gary
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Paul,

You manage the colours great. They looks clear, highlighted and shaded.
    Great work.

marc
  12. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Hi Paul! Nicely done figure! I myself have at workbench Andreas Iroquis tribe member with british coat. And Gary there's two of us. I do want my figures to have historically accurate costumes on. Of course it's little bit hard to find information of Indian tribes costumes and warpaints here up north.

Cheers Mikko
  13. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Paul. Nice figure. I have done the same, because I love woodland-indians based on paintings from Robert Griffing and sculpted by Alan Ball

@ Mikko. Have a look here

Robert Griffing

or

Griffing

Most of the paintings you can find in the book "The Art of Robert Griffing"

Ulrich
  14. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Thank you Ulrich those are wery helpful! Hope theres no big difference on warpaints between the tribes. :)

Cheers Mikko