1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 54mm Verlinden 'DAK' Panzer Grenadier

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Von Luch, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    I'll be posting a series of SBS photo's of a few figures that I had completed last September. The first figure is a 54 mm Verlinden out of box 'DAK' Panzer Grenadier of the 10th Pz. The first few sets of photos may not be of the best quality, trying to figure out how to use my macro on the camera, but the finished photo's are quite nice, after I figured out how to use my macro! I 'll be posting my other two Pieces, Kradmelder and Artillery Forward Observer in the next week. Any questions or comments are more than welcome.

This set of photo's show the assembly of the figure starting with removal of the gas mask cannister strap and buttons on cap then placement of gear and new bread bag straps, gas mask cannister double straps and rifle strap. Notice that on underside of rifle, I removed fingers below the last nuckle, I will have to sculpt fingers to fit tight around rifle.

Attached Files:

mil-mart, SPrimeau and gordy like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Well done Jim, I lke it very much!
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good sculptwork.

Marc
  4. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words. I'll post my next set of photo's tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again!
  5. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Look forward to seeing the progress on this figure. I have seen the finished figure and am very interested in the steps you took to achieve the finished product. I am happy you are posting this Jim!
    Scott
  6. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great start Jim.
    Carl.
  7. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    The next set of photo's starts with the construction of the base for which I will display my figure. I used a 2" piece of oak, with oak framing for the bottom glued together. Once base is dried I use a common wood filler to fill in all the cracks and once this was dry the base was sanded first with med. grit and then fine grit sand paper. After sanding, the base was stained and then urethaned, then left to dry a few days.
    For ground work I incorporated a fabulous method used by the great Doug Cohen. I forever changed my ground work after viewing his SBS on GI painting on Timelinesforums. The base of the ground work is Aves A+B putty. First I sealed off the sides of the base with painters tape and then spread out a semi thin layer of putty over the roughed surface. Ten minutes after putty set up I used a medium sized stone and gave the ground work some contour, after that I spread about some various sized stones/dirt, and then placed the figure for proper positioning/placement. Of course I wanted to get this step finished before I started painting the darn thing.
    Here you can see the figure now primed with with Tamiya primer (heated), smoother finish. Then, started the process of applying Acrylics (Vallejo's).
    I post the next set of photo's in a day or two.
    Thanks for checking him out.

Attached Files:

8. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Scott and Carl for the compliments earlier, much appreciated!
    Yes, I actually started this figure and Kradmelder as a dual project to have finsished for Chicago at the first of September. They both took me around five weeks to finish. The guys (including Scott) in my model club were giving me a hard time over the last couple years only completing one figure a year, so I thought that I would show all of them that I could do two this time, in five weeks.
    Well, here I sit and nothing started since the first week in October. I will be starting something soon though. I'm actually very excited about Tulsa this June, I loved that show. It was like a mini Chicago show with all the modeling greats. Anyway, toodles!
  9. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    The next set of pictures will start with the ground work. After the dirt, rocks figure were set. I removed the tape and cleaned up the edges of the ground work where it meets the wood. Once this was completed I retaped the now clean edge of base and I added the tall and short grass with diluted Elmers glue and water to the ground work. After the grass dried I airbrushed the ground work with Tamiya Acrylics and hand brushed washes and highlights to the grass, dirt and rocks. Once dried I removed the tape and let everything cure.
    The figure now ready for paint. I based coated these figures with Acrylics (Vallejo's), However, when I was at Chicago I was speaking to an oils Master painter and I was told that Vallejo paints have a synthetic or a vinyl component in the mixture that is not best suited for base coating for oils, doesn't give as good a tooth for oils to bond. I kind of find that true. Blending is hit and miss. He said to use something like the cheap Acrylics from you local craft store like Michael's crafts. I found like three or four different brands of them, with tons if different colors. For $25 I bought darn near every color I needed. I think they were on sale for like $.59 a tube, big tubes too. If any one has anything they'd like to add on this I would love to hear it. Anyway, the next photo's are the base coating of the figure. I use an Inside to outside approach like probably most painters when painting a figure. Starting from the inner most part of the figure to the outermost part of the figure. Hope you enjoy. Tomorrow I'll post final pic's, oils and finished figure on base.

Jim

Attached Files:

10. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    The next set of pictures shows the figure painted with oils. Once the figure was dried an application of Dullcoat was applied to flatten the sheen that often happens with oil painting. Once the figure was Dullcoated he was placed on the ground work.
    The next and final pictures show detail photo's of the figure completed, on the base with title plate. The title was made at a local trophy shop.

Well, there you have it, 'DAK' Panzer Grenadier! Hope you enjoyed. I'll be posting my Kradmelder WIP sometime this week.

Jim

Attached Files:

11. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Close up pic's.

Attached Files:

12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jim, excellent painting and many thanks for the SBS of the base and groundwork, very informative. Looks great finished. (y)

Cheers Ken
  13. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Very good looking paintwork Jim!

regards,
    Marcel.
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice work on this figure Jim i will look forward to seeing more from you.
    I like the way you formed the oak base and will copy this idea for the future.

Steve(y)
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Jim,

great work on Dak figure.
    The grounwork is very realistic too(y)
    Wich kind of product did you used to make the groundwork?
  16. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback on my work, much apprecited and glad I could help! Yes, the base and the ground work. Everyone does their own with modeling. For me making my own base is as much fun as creating the groundwork and figure, that's just me.
    Pedro, on timelinesforums at the top under GI painting by Doug Cohen, he does this SBS on painting this figure, towards the end of thread he shows how to do the ground work. I've always been a huge fan of his work, including groundwork, but could never figure out how it was done, until that thread. The material used is Aves A+B putty spread out over the base of wood, take a some what course stone. Let putty set up, say 8 to 10 minutes. Wet the stone so it doesn't stick to putty and kind of push it into the putty giving it some contour. After this is done you can add some fine sand, medium rocks, large rocks or what ever you want to create. Once everything in place I give a slight wash of glue water and push the what I can into putty before it completely dries. Once everything sets up I then add tall and short grass sporadically around base, set with diluted glue/water first. I paint using Tamiya acrylics, earth tones, using buff for the highest highlight. Try it, you might like the results. I loved it!

Jim
  17. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Thanks Jim:)
  18. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Hi Jim, the base work turned out really nice. Thanks for the explaining the steps you took! Looking forward to seeing more from you here. Nice figure!
    Scott
  19. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Scott for the feedback. GO VIKES!