1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

54mm Sodbuster In Prgress

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Anders Heintz, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Im at it again, this time its a 54mm sodbuster behind the plow out in the field of his farm. Its sculpted with milliput the yellow gray kind over a wire armature. Im trying the millitput for the first time and I find it very easy to work with. It seams to be a little 'sturdier' then Magic Sculpt when soft and sands and carvs a little easier when cured. By looking at the pictures it looks like his cheeks (on the face) needs to be narrowed down a little. Also Im not sure about the size of the pants, maybe they are a little to narrow or skinny.

Please let me know what you think I can do to improve this figure.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Anders, starting with the head , I would take a bit off the chin, as it is a bit large, and taper the lower jaw in a little.
    I think the shoulders are too rounded and also need to be raised a little, as for the pants ,I think they're pretty close, just add a little to the inner thigh of the left leg.

Maybe this pic will help a little
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Leigh!

Yeah, I agree with you about the head, I'll do some sanding and carving. As far as the shoulders go, how much higher should they be? Thanks for your suggestions, also, nice job on the head sculpt!
  4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    It appears to be eight heads in height which is slightly larger than the standard seven to seven and half. I think the length of the upper leg to the knees is a tad too long. Perhaps a spot check with a pair of dividers could verify that with an anatomical drawing.
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Andy,

Nice idea. Looking forward to seeing it completed. I agree with Leigh and if you get a chace take a look at some of his work, it is dead on. (y)

Joe
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Keith!

The reference Ive been using for the figure is a book called The American Frontier, by William C Davis. Its a great book with a lot of reference pics. He is a Sod Buster from Northern Missouri. As far as the mule, well its gonna be a draft horse pulling the plow and I bought this one, its a pheonix 54mm plow horse.
  7. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Anders, I just realized something. The suspenders need to cross over one another in the back, or be made the three point type. You've made alot of progress since you were here Saturday.
  8. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Anders, I think the shoulders should be something like this, when I hold my arms in a similar position (as if holding on to a plough) my shoulders lift up some, but how much depends on how far the elbows are from the body, the further out the higher the shoulders. Good luck (y)

I look forward to seeing some pics of your Highlander when you start, it's a bit of a favorite subject of mine too
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great Anders. Look forward to the next pics. (y)
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Leigh,

Thanks for the drawing, it helps tremendously! I'll work on it and will see what I can do.
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, After you rough in the anatomy, keep in mind the type of fabric the figure's clothing is made of. A cotton or linen shirt would be fairly thin requiring a careful buildup of material, keep from layering it on too thick. Your work is coming along and I would suggest more time on getting the roughed in anatomy just right. This is a most critical step. If if does not look right, the most well sculpted drapery, folds, detail and other things won't hide them. You might even want to roll up his sleeves, hot work!~Gary
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the tip Gary :) I Think Im just going to rework the whole upper body, with smaller more delicate folds, and redo the suspenders. I sure appreciate everyones comments and suggestions as thats the only way to improve, knowing the problem and doing something about it, and ofcourse, practice! Thanks again guys, I'll post an update when Ive got something new.
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi Anders, interesting subject you have chosen. I agree w/ John about the braces (suspenders) being crossed in the back. You may also want to consider tucking his trousers into his boots (about mid shin). From what I've seen at "living history" farms, all the men folk wore their trousers tucked into their boots. Particularly the men in the fields. I guess this prevents dirt form clogging up their trousers. Just a thought :) I also agree w/ Gary on rolling up the sleeves, very hot work indeed! Keep it up (y)

Jason