1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique 54MM-Seil Roman Centurion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike Stevens, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Guys,

We have a long Holiday here in the states and I had some time to paint. Here's my latest, a Roman, it's a first for me. Painting a face inside of a helmet presented it challenges. I had to strip it 4 or 5 times before i was happy.

It's painted in acrylics and printers inks. I think I'll try Metal Coate on the next one.

All comments and critiques welcome.

Attached Files:

2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    THis is the only Seil Romn I don't own. Nice job on ths one.
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    very nice work my man.
  4. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike, constructive criticism

The lower eyelid is too dark, it looks like he's got eye-liner on. Use a mid brown or no line on it at all as blokes tend to have negligible eyelashes on the lower lid. You could also just have a darker lower shade to the lower half of the eyeball which will give you the contrast to the highlighted flesh of the lower eyelid. On a 54mm figure you have to think how a person would look about 25m away.

When I used to judge figures I would put the figure down with no score if the eyes weren't right..............no matter who the artist was!

Otherwise a fine effort and I'm glad you didn't overdo the red highlights with white making it go pink.

Hope this helps.:unsure:

David
  5. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Mike, Matthew and David,

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and take a look at the figure and comment.

David, I'll take your feedback for what it is. I always like to be able to improve with every figure. I appreciate your candor.

Thanks
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like the paintwork on this figure. For me the eyes are to intense blue.

Marc
  7. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mike,
    I mean to help.If all you hear are platitudes you'll keep making the same mistakes. I had Adrian Bay as a mentor for years[ or was that tormentor?!]

I've kept some of my early figures and occasionally I look at them to remind me how I've changed and to think how I could change further.

Very often it's simple little things that add up to a lot. If I get time I'll get some shots done of a '97 figure and the same one done ~5 years later.

(y)

David
  8. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks David, I appreciate it.