1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

54mm Napoleonics in Egypt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by 1969, Nov 21, 2009.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is a project i have been working on for the last couple of months now. The progress is far slower than normal and i am enjoying the slower approach to sculpting which allows me a more relaxed approach to the subject.
    The main focus of this scene is the `Water Seller` which i found an image of while searching the internet and decided to make a theme around this individual. I have opted for a market/bazaar street with two Napoleonic troops out buying some souveniers and during their trip recieving some water form the water seller.

Still early stages yet and still to decide the uniforms of the two Napoleonics to the left of the scene as you look at it, i have some exellent images from `kansas Kid`(RIck) for the uniforms which will add some variety to the scene.

All comments and critique welcomed.

Steve

Attached Files:

2. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Stevie: Glad you found time to post these images

Hey there, Mate:

Looking good, Steve. Glad you found time to post these images that you sent
    me last week. Very nice photos and just a very interesting scene of a theme
    that I have never seen done in minature; i.e. a water seller during the
    Napoleonic Egyptian Campaign. Really like your composition too. And all the
    intricate designs in the wall, the windows door jams, et cetera. (y)(y)

Ah. . . was this before or after Boneparte flew the coop and left the Army
    holding the bag?? ;);) Jusssss kiddin' my friend.

Congrat on a great start of a rather industrious and complicated diorama.

The Miami Jayhawk
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rick it was your good self that prompted me to post this one up mate, i was going to wait till it was finished before posting but that may take some time at this rate.

Glad you like it mate, all the best,

Stevo
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roger that Steve. . .

Affirmative, mate:

Yep, I feel that besides me, there are a lot of other lurkers and non-members
    who peruse this site. And I think they're eager to learn without admitting
    they're newcomers to figure painting, sculpting, et cetera. So I see the WIP
    and SBS (hey mate, it even took a while for me to find out what WIP and
    SBS meant, for example) pictures and text to be very helpful to so many of
    us.

And from the way the regulars post those kind of Step By Step and Work In
    Progress images, I gather they feel the same way. Plus I really enjoy looking
    at a "project" while it is being created. To see the inner working, so to speak,
    of the creative process.

Take care my friend, Rickster
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Ah ha,now we knoiw what you've been doing with yourelf all this time. I thought you'd given up modelling!! Turns out you've been creating a little masterpiece mate. What a fantastic scene. The figures look very natural and well sculpted, as expected. Keep at it mate, and don't take so long to show us the next series of WIP pics please.
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve, great work on the buildings, I really like the scene you've set , should be a stunner when its done. Great figure sculpting, I especially like the posture for the water carrier, it looks almost as heavy as a Falklands backpack :). Look forward to following progress.

Cheers Ken
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is a great scene sofar. I really like it.
    Looking forward to your next step.

Marc
  8. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great execution Steve which only spells one word........Bravo!!!!

Ray ;)
  9. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very very nice Steve!

Looks like you're using their own balance to pose them...best way in my books!

Why 54mm this time round, I thought you preferred the larger scales?

Cheers,
    Jon.
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Rick...Thanks mate.

Tony..."Given up modelling"..no chance mate although i did have a wobbly period where i lost interest in sculpting altogether, this project was to get me back into it again.

Ken... Thanks for the feedback mate, the water carrier really inspired me to do this project and my aim was to try a more complicated pose and to see if he self balances..and he does:). Wouldnt want his job though lugging that water vase around all day, must have weighed some.

Marc... Hopefully the next step will be soon, thanks for the comment.

Ray... Wow thanks mate.

Jon... Good to see your input mate, i always ensure my figure stand on their own two feet where possible, the water seller was very testing but he balances very nicely even without the stick.
    yeh i do like the larger scales but i know i need more practice with the 54mm figures as i do like this scale but tend to shy away from it sometimes, plus in 120mm this would be a massive project :D.

Thanks all,

Steve
  11. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Steve great to see back with this new project!
    Something original and it looks already very good at this stage!
    Keep posting I'm curious to see the development on this one mate.

Take care,
    Marcel.
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marcel thanks for the feedback mate, i thought this would be right up your street with the napoleonics added, i will post some progress soon although its going slowly.

steve