1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique 54mm Knight by Pegaso

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Meehan34, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    This is the first 54mm that I have attempted since the very first figures I painted some 18 months ago. this is a figure that Guy Herrick gave me last winter so I don't know the name of it but it is a neat little dude and was fun to paint. The results might get me to try my hand at a few more 54's. The heraldry was painted today under the guidance of Steve Scott and I am happy with the results. Please let me know what you think of him and what I could do to improve. Thanks for taking a gander at him.

kni1.JPG kni2.JPG
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, nice work here! The metals look fantastic, the flesh tones are nice, the heraldry is great, especially for a first attempt! The only thing that really stands out for me is the highlight colors on the green tunic. I'm seeing a yellow in the mix that feels wrong to me. The tunic has a nice blue-green base, but the highlights seem to be mixed with maybe a yellow that, to my eye, is a little distracting. I think you improve with every piece. Where do you get the time to paint so much? Keep it up!

Jay H.
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great piece Mike, the heraldry is especially well done.
    Carl.
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Hey Mike, this indeed is a nice one you show us here! I'd say an extremely good result given that you've only been painting for such a brief time.

Suggestions to improve? Well, it's because you ask for it, but it is nothing major:

- I agree with Jay about the green. The yellow does not seem right in the mix. Maybe it's because it has about the same 'intensity' (I forgot the correct colour theory terminology...) as the green, yet is used for highlights. Or you've mixed warm and cool colours, I'm not sure. Anyway, I'd try a different highlight colour next time.

- The heraldry looks excellent. Given the position of the shield you could try have the shading gradient in the background more pronounced from bottom to top, instead of on the edges.

Anyway, just my personal view and because you've asked for it, because there really isn't much to comment on! Nice work.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Very nice work Mike(y):)
    The heraldic are awesome:)
  6. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks gents for the input. I see what you mean about the tunic, my choice of using yellow was probably a bad choice as it does look blah. I should be able to fix him with a different shade of highlite. Input like this is why I post the pics and ask for advice, so I am very grateful for the critique. I really like the idea of shading the lower part of the shield, I think that will look really good.

Thank you again for the sound advice, it is very appreciated.
  7. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Mike great result you have achieved here. I agree with the abovementioned commnets about the yellow highlight. I whould use something more whitish still with a touch of yellow and very carefully cause green like blue tends to look worn out if you go too far with lights. As far as the shield part i whouldn't place shadows per se as it looks pretty flat to me. Some weathering on the lower part whould have the same result and more realistic IMO.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work on the heraldy.
    But as mentioned above the green highlight (yellow) is not the right choice.
    You can highlight green with yellow, but not in this big steps. You have to build it up very slow.
    It can be easely correct with multiple washes of green.

Marc
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    i really like your progress with figure Mike and you tackled this one well, i think the others have given some good advice for you on this one and im looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Steve(y)
  10. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Mike.
    Excellent painting!
    The tone of the face and the color of the surcoat are wonderful.
    The design of the shield is also Great.
    And the ground work is also beautiful.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work Mike. You have really brought out the life in this fellow.
  12. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    I agree with the comments on the green but for the rest great painted figure Mike!

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks so much for the comments gents. I went in last night and greened up the yellow highlites. I think he looks better and the highlites more like highlites rather than stripes. I will probably go in and do some more later but I am working on a figure that has taken my interest by storm. I just wanted you guys to know that I listened and am appreciative of the critiques.

Thanks again.

kni-1.JPG
  14. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Much, Much better!

Mike
  15. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    I think that this is a nice small figure mate !you have painted clear and neat. Few things that guys mentioned for color tonality could be a bit different but in general terms the figure has a nice result my friend

Bravo

Costas
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,
    Nicely done and very nice shield.
    Cheers
    John