1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 54mm Conversion Sas Trooper Officer 1941

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike Stevens, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Guys,

Here is my first serious conversion. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I have replaced the head with a hornet head. Sculpted the beard and used an Airfix Cap. I have replaced the arms and sculpted from scratch. Let me know what you think about the anatomy. I have some clean up left and then off to painting.

Best Regards

Attached Files:

kidsbday7, Meehan34, sd0324 and 3 others like this.
  2. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice job on the conversion, Mike. He'll look great painted up.
    Looks good holding the Tommy gun too
    Cheers
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Looking great Mike!

Does he look like Hemmingway or is that a coincidence...?

Cheers,
    Adrian
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great idea for a conversion Mike and nice work overall, one thing that stands out above all anatomy wise is the right arm and possibly the left if you have done it the same as the right, the distance from shoulder to elbow is too short in relation to the arms length, upper arm and lower arm tot he wrist should be roughly same length, I have done a rough mock up to show where it needs adjusting on the arms. It may have been better to have the right arm extended straight to take the weight of the Thompson due to the fact if that's a 100 round magazine the total weight is about 17.5 Lbs, quite a lot of weight to be taken on a cocked wrist.
    Keep going though as it will be a nice looking figure in the end.

Steve[IMG]
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  6. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Nick, I appreciate the feed back!
    Hey Adrian, Thanks for taking a look. Its pure coincidence! It was a random head in my spares box.
  7. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hey Steve,

Thanks for the constructive feedback! I appreciate it. Super detailed and to the point! I should have measured better and studied a little more anatomy! I'll take this lesson and move on and learn from it. I love the graphic you used. I'll clean it up a bit more and see what it looks like with paint.

Thanks,

Mike
  8. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice overall, (maybe some minor corrections on the hands-fingers).
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  9. Edward A Fixture

England
    Nice conversion! Who makes the original figure?
  10. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Christos! That's what I did last night. Worked on the hands and sleeves: Ready to paint now.

Edward, The figure was made by Warriors and originally Sculpted by Bill Chilstrom. You can still find it on Ebay at a very reasonable price.
    Edward likes this.