1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

54mm buttons

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Jaybo, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Does anyone know Mike Blank's e-mail address? I really enjoy his work, especially its subdued painting style (vegetable dyes!) and 18th c. subjects. I want to know what he uses for his buttons. They appear to be metal on his webpage. Thanks.
    Jay
  2. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Hi Jay,
    Mike uses a punch and die and lead sheet to make his buttons. The trick is shown in his Modelismo Sculpting and Body Language book. To quote it: "The buttons being punched out from lead sheet with a punch and die set. By using soft lead sheet (as opposed to plastic card) dome-shaped buttons can be formed which were used by most regiments from this period." (This period referring to the army of Charles XII. There is a sculpting step by step for a gunner of the artillery regiment.)

I'm borrowing the book from someone (thanks Jason!), but I can bring it to the next painting session at Riders (which is April 11, 1-4pm) so you can look through it, if you'd like. :)
  3. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Wendy! I'll see you there. By the way, where does one get this punch & die set? I recall Historex Agents selling a set years ago.
    Jay
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    There are some other brands out there, such as Waldron for example.
    Perhaps you can alsu buy the single rivets armour modellers use for rivets. They should do it for buttoms as well?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay,

I have always wanted to use a punch and die but just never got around to buying one. Here is a method that I have used and it seems to work ok. I use the back end of a drill bit placed inside of a holder. I then press it into the sheet lead. In this example I want nice flat round buttons, so I used the wooden base. I have also used this same method but punched it into a cutting mat and this gave me a dome shape. I have an example of that if you wish to see.

I hope this helps,

Joe

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Joe,
    Now that looks like a winner. The gaiter buttons are exactly what I am up to. Where do you get your sheet lead....toothpaste tubes? Good idea and thanks.
    Jay
  7. Brent Fordham New Member

Canada
    Jay,

A good source for sheet lead is from the foil around wine bottle tops. Some are plastic, but many are still good old-fashioned toxic lead :)

Brent
  8. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    The Waldron set can be purchased from www.rollmodels.com, and another similar set from www.micromark.com. Both are pricey for what they are, but depending on how often you use it, can be worth the money.
  9. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Incidentally,

Although I own a Waldron punch set, I utilize a technique very similar to Mr. Hudson's for this application, and find it wholly satisfactory at a minimal cost.
  10. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
  11. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States

Jay,

I got mine from VLS many years ago but I am sure you can find pretty easy.

Jannie,

I have a few that are round and some domed and I have even take a file to shape a few.

Thanks for the link. I have not seen that but also be on the lookout for a 54mm in the near future. ;)

Also here is another one that I use.

[IMG]
  12. Ray Active Member

United-States