1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique 54MM Andrea British Officer 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike Stevens, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Everyone,

I finished another one. This one took a little more time to finish than usual. I had a lot going over the last month or so.

Please feel free to take a look amd make comments. As my my wife says, "I need all the help I can get!"

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      208 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      212.9 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      157.5 KB
      Views:
    • 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      189.2 KB
      Views:
    • 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      164.7 KB
      Views:
    • 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      192.8 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      166.2 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      154.7 KB
      Views:
    • 026.jpg
      026.jpg
      File size:
      152.2 KB
      Views:
    Eric P.M., dArtagnan, Tommi and 11 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Mike!

I really like your British officer, this figures are so small and definitely you done a fair job.

To improved even more your next figure, try to paint the eyes smaller and improve even more the harsh effects between lights and shadows.:cool:
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like what you have done with this figure. Your next would be better.
    But this is allready a really fine painted figure. You have the feeling for acrylic but try to fade the colors more.

Marc
  4. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Mike, please know that there are a few Planeteers (well, one I can speak for...) who think you have a wonderfully subtle shading technique.
    Realizing that there is plenty of room for different styles, I can see nothing "wrong" with what you have produced.
    While it is true that the style-du-jour seems to be forced shadowing and highlighting, that does not mean that everyone must paint that way.
    Your uniform has discernible shadows and highlights, with great blending and no "harsh" transitions. The face exhibits the same characteristics, and appears very "lifelike" to my eye. The "sharper" folds in both the coat (elbows) and pants (knees) have higher shifts in tone than the rest of the garments, which makes sense. On my monitor, there is wonderful color variation on the shako, and no actual use of Black it seems. The only nit I can find to pick at might be the gloves - again, based on what I can see, the "tubes" of the fingers aren't as defined as they might be. One might also wonder if those gloves would quickly become "non-white" in the field!
    In any event, I think you have done a wonderful job on this figure.
    On future figures, push the values of the highs and lows if you wish, or keep doing what you did here - whatever pleases you, for that is the real audience for whom you are painting! Best regards, Don
  5. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Marc, Predro and Don, I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment on my work.

Thanks
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I can't really add more than as already been said Mike. I know the fashion is for starker contrast in smaller scales, but I like what you've done.
    Carl.
  7. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I concur with what has been said above and, personally, I like it very much!! Just curious, what colors did you use in painting the shako?

Best,

Kevin D.
  8. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Just want to echo Don's comments. Well phrased. Please tell me you are an oil painter:) As Kevin asked, can you give us a brief SBS on the shako
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good Mike!

For someone who's painted as short a time that you have it is really quite excellent. I really like the shall and leather on the trousers. The grays are quite nice as well!

Keep it up!
  10. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Carl, Kevin, and Paul, first of all thanks for taking the time to take a look and write a few words. The figure is painted entirely in Acrylics.

The mix I used for the Shako is Vallejo Black, Brown Sand and just a dab of Reaper Oiled Leather to give is textured look or feel.

Thanks again for taking a look.
  11. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    It's gorgeous and brilliant!
    I think a very beautiful figure.
    Very cool.
    Your technique is amazing.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  12. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Mitsutaka, Anders and Billy,

thanks for looking and taking the time to leave a comment. Billy, I'll make the changes that you suggested.

Thanks again
  13. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mike,
    I really like the figure and colours.
    Cheers
    John
  14. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    outstanding face! I hope to see him in Tulsa, keep up the good work my man.
  15. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Mike and John,

Thanks for looking guys.

Mike this will defnitely be in Tulsa with me.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You're welcome Mike.
    Good luck with it. :)

Roger.
  17. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    VERY well put Donald !! I agree.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I echo Don's comments. He said what I wanted to say. Well done.
  19. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Tony and Rob, Thanks for taking the time to comment.
  20. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice painting Mike!!