1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 54mm 1786 French Dragoon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France

Hi Daniel,
    We don't want to mess this up at this stage Mate.
    I think that it looks ok, so:
    The first paintings jacket is a very yellow based green. I believe that this is the correct colour.
    The second painting is very close to your colour choice.
    I think if it was me I would mix a yellow based green with less blue. Use this as a wash to pick out the highlights. you may need to do this a few times to get the colour as the first painting......but keep it thin Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    MarquisMini likes this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

It could happen 2 things, messed up or fix it and be happy with it.
    But the good thing is i could always start over .
    Thanks for your advice mate :)
  3. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I took your advice on washing the coat up with some mix of vallejo military green ( the equivalent of Andrea Napoleonic green) and a dab of medium olive green, added some 20 drops of distilled water which i normally use for wahses.
    It turn out much better than i expected, i did touch up the last lights and last shadows to give a little bit more contrast.
    Thanks Keith , happy with the results .
    Cheers 20151016_172752.jpg 20151016_172809.jpg 20151016_172821.jpg
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    There you go Daniel.
    That has worked very well, well done Mate.
    Never think about starting over until you have tried every thing you can.
    You would be amazed at the number of coats/washes you can put on.
    Again good work my friend.
    All the best,
    Keith
    MarquisMini likes this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks again for your advice Keith, now i can say i am happy camper with this trooper.
    Best regards
    Wings5797 likes this.
  6. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    I think humbrol u.s. marine green would be suitable as a base colour for the jacket? / badger
    MarquisMini likes this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Then I am a happy camper as well.......but I will really be a happy camper when I get to spend the winter in my little van in the UK on Monday.
    Daniel, you have done a great job with your new skill. Use it often Mate, it works very well on faces.
    Kindest regards,
    Keith
    MarquisMini likes this.
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

I am sure you will be thrill to spend time in your homeland Keith, winter is coming ;-) , enjoy it mate.
  9. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hi Badger, i am sure it will be a great color for base, i jave not use Humbrol paints since my childhood, they are great.
    I saw some pics of the US marine green you have mention and that could work great .
    All the best
  10. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    thanks/badger
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello planeteers,
    I have been working on finishing the coat, the trimming color in pink and finished the x-belts (except the metal parts) and finished the vest.
    20151018_161941.jpg 20151018_161950.jpg 20151018_162005.jpg
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I have finished the turnbacks and badges on it.
    By 1789 , the dragoons had a Fleur-de-lys on the outer tail and a grenade badge on the inner tail of the turnbacks.
    X-belts are done and pants.
    20151021_082134.jpg 20151021_082151.jpg 20151021_082201.jpg
    Joe55 and billyturnip like this.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Almost done, few touch ups on the gaiters, turnbacks and pants.
    I have added a horizontal piece of belt made out of brown stuff on tne back of the giberné or cartridge box , the purpose of that horizontal piece of belt is to hold the rolled Bonnet for undress duties which is hold by two small straps, i am still on the fence about adding that .
    I have gotten rid of the rolled bonnet on the bottom of the cartridge box which was a later period regulation.
    I received a book on french Dragoons yesterday, just in time so i can hav emore references.
    The book illustrates the dragoons iniform and equipment from 1750-1792, if anyone needs any specific detail on a regiment i'll be more than happy to help.
    Cheers 20151022_232501.jpg 20151022_232509.jpg 20151022_232520.jpg 20151022_232527.jpg 20151022_233816.jpg 20151022_233852.jpg