1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

53rd Georgia Infantry, Semme's Brigade

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 19, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I first placed a blob of putty to give me something to support the crown of the hat, being careful to leave room to place the brim over top.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Brim Start by rolling out a sheet of putty. My working surface was a ceramic tile with wax paper on it lightly coated with vaseline. I use Gordy's method of placing two pieces of plastic strip stock on either side of the working area which helps to keep the tool your rolling your putty with at an even height. I let this putty set up to where it still flexes a bit. I then take my circle template and choose one a bit larger than the final size be sure to mark the center of this disc with an outline of the diameter of hole your puncher has. Cut out your brim and then puch out the center. I then put the brim in place and secure it with superglue gel.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    After this has dried I then take a blob of putty and put it over the piece placed earlier. I then shape and blend this into the brim. I have to clean it up and take the shape down a bit once it's dry. You can finish off the hat with a ribbon around the crown or tape edging around the brim.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    In addition to the hat I've added a waistbelt and part of the jacket. It looks as if the jacket will cover the portion of the shirt I sculpted after all.

Attached Files:

5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looks great Gary! Thanks for the super sbs on the hat, will come in handy down the road for sure!

Is this the same way you would make a commercial hat that would be seperate from the head or you have different tricks for that?
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

You are doing such a great job! I hope you bring your work with you to the show and that you have time for me to bug you! ;)

Joe
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Thanks.I will bring the stuff I'm working on as I won't be exhibiting (maybe next year).~Gary
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, Thanks. Yeah I would do it a little different.~Gary
  9. olly_usafsoc New Member

:eek: ;) :lol: its me! sorry forgot to log myself in!!
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Oliver, Thanks a lot. For these I used Shenandoah Miniatures spare heads. The first set of bare heads are not too bad, the second is better. I love Hornet heads but they are a little small which means the figure has to be smaller. These are about 1/32 scale while the Hornet stuff is for 1/35.~Gary
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The body of the jacket is done along with most of the slings the figure has around his body. I sculped the sleeve and need to refine some of the folds while the putty is relatively soft.

Attached Files:

12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is his haversack. I fixed it to a piece of sculpey so I could do the flap. The haversack was made from a blob of putty that was pressed onto the body. I gave his back a thin coat of vaseline to make it easy to separate from his body after curing.

Attached Files:

13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

Nice progress! The arm is great, will keep a pic of it for future reference on arm folds. Keep it up!
  14. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Same here too! :)
  15. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey gary,
    nice work,high quality sculpting.
    Is this one of a kind or will it be mass produced?

Roc. :)
  16. y_wong New Member

Dear Gary,

Great sculpting! I am referencing your stuff when sculpting mine. I glad that you are sharing all these so that we can all benefit from it.

Looking forward to more of your stuffs.

regards :lol:
  17. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary
    Your work makes me wanna sculpt I may have to get some stuff and give it a try

Robin
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW guys! Thanks so much for the kind words. Both of these figures are one-offs using spare parts from Shenandoah Miniatures, although I do have one and possibly another Civil War 54mm subject that will be sculpted for possible production. More on those later. For the time being I'm concentrating on these and the 120mm vignette I just started. Thanks again.~Gary
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    It's nice to be making progress on more than one project, and in the same day at that. I added the last bit of haversack sling, and started the sleeve for the right arm and fingers on the right hand.~Gary

Attached Files:

20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The fingers are rolled out Magicsculpt blended into the main part of the hand. Once it's dry I'll strengthen where the fingers join the hand with super glue, and finish them off with a light sanding so they are not so round.~Gary

Attached Files: