53rd Georgia Infantry, Semme's Brigade

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 19, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The 53rd Georgia was part of Paul Semme's Brigade and participated in the fight for the Rose farm at Gettysburg. Inspired by Bill Chilstrom's BANZAI figures I decided to do a figure in an action pose instead of copying from a painting. Here is another Troiani Figure study taken from the book Don Troiani's civil War showing the look of a man from the 53rd. Information indicates that 20% of Semme's soldiers did not have canteens so he will be equiped that way. The roughed in sculpey arms are there to show the pose I'm going for. The rifle will be in the right hand.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is where I'm at on the figure. I still have to rough in the left foot. I may do a little surgery to his face to better portray a soldier on the attack.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is another view.

Attached Files:

4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary! Love how the figure leans a little to show motion. Got a question though, is the right foot going to be in that position or will you put the 'sole to the ground' more. Keep it up!
  5. y_wong New Member

Hey Gary, you're good and prolific. Always enjoy your works.

I have a suggestion. Since you are scuplting an action pose, maybe you might want to do something about the mouth: make it open as if he is grasping for air or shouting.

regards
  6. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Gary,

I am sooo glad your doing more 54's. You must be hooked! :lol:

I always liked Troiani's study of this subject. It looks like you will be building another "pumpkin slinger".

Can't wait to see more progress.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wong, Thank you for the kind comments my friend. I will do something with the head by at least altering his brow as to give him a determined look. I Do not consider myself prolific but I'm trying.

Jason, Thanks buddy. These go together faster with the Shenandoah heads, although I hope to switch to scratchbuilt ones in the future. I'm working on the plans for four rifles (M1861 Springfield, M1853 Enfield, M1842, M1854? Austrian Lorenz) in addition to the figures themselves. I will bring them to MFCA this year to show you, unpainted of course.~Gary
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Can't wait to see them! Especially that Lorenz (y)
  9. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    I like seeing you take on an 'action' pose and I'm looking forward to watching your progress on this figure and the Yank.

Kreston
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, thanks. The Georgian will have belts made of putty instead of the plastic I normally use as I've spent a good deal of today on the NY guy just to only have the cartridge box belt complete. Superglue does not hold on to the cured putty very well. I also altered the lower half of the Georgian's face, which I now wish I'd left alone. Live and learn. The muskets are next.

Kreston, Thanks a lot, I'm enjoying them though I've had a few frustrating moments.~Gary
  11. LCoote New Member

Australia
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well it will be a while before I post a few pics of this project as I'm taking a step backward to replace the head on the figure. The mouth I resculpted for the figure was really bad and I'm now using the head I had first picked out for the figure. I did manage to salvage the hat from the head and tried it on the first one and it was too small, so I'll have to make a slouch hat (won't be a problem). These projects are not without their problems which I'm also more than willing to share. I hope to have his trousers underway at the beginnig of the week.~Gary
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm finally able to get back to this one after resolving problems with the head. I will clean up the trouser leg with files and some Scotchbrite once it's cured. As for the head, I'll make a slouch hat for this one possibly after the trousers are done though I thought I'd save it for last.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are a couple more views of the right trouser leg. I have been taking pics without the tripod, so the next batch will be better.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.

Attached Files:

16. jitch0t Member

Spain
    Hey Gary, nice as always! i really enjoy your sbs'
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the other trouser leg. I will clean it up a bit after it cures.

Attached Files:

18. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Great drapery effect Gary!
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking superb Gary (y)
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Looks really good Gary. Drapery is especially well done.

The only problem I have when guys like you, and some of the others post sculpting projects is not starting a sculpting project myself. I'm behind on painting and need to leave the putty in the drawer a while.