1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 5 Year Old Grandson Starts A New Hobby - Figure Painting

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nick Majerus, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    My Grandson was checking out my latest project (CH 53 Abn. Scooter). He asked me if I had any figures that he could paint. I keep some miscasts in a box, so glued up a couple busts for him. He took them home and the next day his Mother took this picture of him painting. He is five and I want to keep him interested in hobbies. His Mother is a good painter too, so this helps!

8-16-2012 Klaus painting soldiers.JPG
    NickM, kaz6120, ChaosCossack and 6 others like this.
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Nice recruiting work Nick! Starting this young he can win the painting olympics when he turns 10!

Did he paint his arm too?

Cheers,
    Adrian
    housecarl likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Keep him enthousiastic for our hobby.

marc
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Good to see.
    You should convert him to acrylics though.;)
    Carl.(y)
  5. CJK Member

United-States
    Nick,
    Hope to see your grandson's work among the youth category table entries at our upcoming winter show.
    Chris
  6. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you everyone for your comments! I hope to keep him interested in the hobbies, not sure what he will follow. I am also doing some snap together kits like cars and planes for him.
    Chris I hope he will have something for the show in Feb.

Nick
  7. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks also to everyone who liked the picture!

Nick
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Catch them when they're young good work
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Nick. I'm sure that's how a lot us started off. I used to watch my granddad paint figures when I was a similar age... now look at me.;)
  10. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have a second grandson but he lives to far away, so Klaus visits more often. He told his Mother he wants to be an artist so we encourage him to paint and draw. He also is very good with a camera that surprised me at his age.
    Thanks to those that liked the picture.

Nick
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Both my son and daughter are now hooked on modelling/painting - I hope that they continue their interest into adult life - its really nice to see them being creative! I hope your grandson maintains his interest and creativity,
    Steve(y)
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I agree on that 100% :D
    housecarl likes this.
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great start for him Nick,but keep him on the oils(y)

Ron
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great work!!! Kids need to exercise their creativity... Keeps their mind sharp, great for hand eye coordination... 1000x better than video games or staring at the boob tube!
    He's a big boy too... get him on skates and put a hockey stick in his hands ASAP ;)

Cheers

Colin

PS Don't let him be a Tin-knocker... all the best guys are Sparkies :woot:
  15. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys! We were at his house tonight and we assembled a lego truck kit. We had all the pieces on the table and the instruction book. I would show him which piece to look for and where it went from the book. He is very sharp! I think his Mother will keep him away from the video games for awhile yet.
    Colin, his parents will keep him out of the trades, they are smarter then you and me! LOL!

Nick
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I hope more kids /adults had more interest in this hobby or sports,that'll keep them off taking interest in other less healthy choices .
  17. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    It is difficult being parents in these times. There are so many distractions for todays youth. School work and activeties, electronic games, TV programs, etc. Only so many hours in the day. I think that is where Grandparents, uncles, aunts, and other family can help out with hobbies and other choices. My hat is off to parents, it is a very demanding job!
    Once again thanks for the "Likes" and comments!

Nick
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Great job, Nick! I hope he stays interested!
    I started the hobby at around about the same age, making a 1:48 Hawker Tempest. Now my 3 year old son is starting to take an interest in my 'Zowldiers' (soldiers) too.
    Well done, mate!