1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

5 o'clock shadow

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by FlyingDutchman, Apr 18, 2017.

1. FlyingDutchman Active Member

Netherlands
    Always wanted to know how people paint a good 5 o'clock shadow beard on their figure.

They always turn out to be to black and not natural when I try to paint it.

Any tips would be greaty appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Frans
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Franx

Dark Prussian blue in very thin washes , build it up very gradually .

I sometimes add a tiny bit of blending nedium/ retarder and stipple

Also used water soluable oils Paynes Gray

Personally I try not to go overboard on the effect as well

Happy 5 o'clock shadowing

Nap
    FlyingDutchman likes this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

In the beard areas, mix in a very small, and I mean VERY small, amount of black with each applicable skintone. Follow the highlights and shades and mix each with the tiny amount of black. This approach will add a subtle grey cast while retaining contrast. Did I mention you only need tiny amounts of black?

Adrian
  4. FlyingDutchman Active Member

Netherlands
    Thank you very much, this helps a lot!
    :)
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Frans...once you find your prefered mix.
    of flesh and black or blue...keep the recipe for the mix because
    you can get dome great shades of grey to use for blankets and overcoats with the same tones.
    I live making grey with flesh tint and dark Prussian blue !

Paul.
    napoleonpeart and FlyingDutchman like this.
  6. pkessling Active Member

As Adrian said, add a tiny dab of Blue Black to your flesh colors if painting in oils.
    FlyingDutchman likes this.
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I paint with oils and I use a small amount of Delft Blue gently stippled to blend it with the underlying flesh tones and end up with a natural shade. It works well for me, and others have asked me what my "secret" is, so I guess I must be doing something right.

Like anything though, there's no "one right way" and I wouldn't like to trumpet mine as anything more than another one to add to your list and try out along with the approaches that the other guys have put forward. Just a matter of finding which one works best for you. Have fun experimenting!

- Steve
    napoleonpeart and FlyingDutchman like this.
  8. FlyingDutchman Active Member

Netherlands
    I have a lot to try out know, many thanks for the options! Never thought about adding blue, definitely going to try that out . Again, thank you for all help.
    Now it's time to grow a beard! :)
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Try to add the darker mix of your choice into the flesh colour,that should take care of the harshness of the colour,it's a case of trial and error,just keep practising different mixes until you find one suitable,just don't go in with neat black
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  10. pkessling Active Member

Just dip the tip of a toothpick into the Blue Black color; no more. You want it to be natural and subtle.
  11. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't forget to add the slightest touch of crimson to your chosen mix to 'warm' the tone a bit
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I use Prussian Blue, too, but I mix it with my basic flesh tone to apply it.

Nap makes a great point, too, about keeping it subtle. Unless you're painting Fred Flintstone.

Prost!
    Brad
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    As I mentioned before,I like to add colours like charcoal and black in tiny amounts to my flesh mix to create the shadow,always start off light and work your shadow up until your happy with it,and don't forget once you've achieved the shadow colour you like it will also need to be highlighted.
    Remember the 5 o'clock shadow area is different on all individuals so there is no set way to do this,a soldier on campaign can go days without shaving and the beard area will look lighter or darker on each individual.
    Good luck
    Brian
    IMG_9684.JPG IMG_9685.JPG
    theBaron, OldTaff, Chrisr and 2 others like this.