1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 4th Don Cossack Lancer Summer of 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Keith & Huw!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. krugliy80 New Member

United-States
    Hi all ! Dan not bad , but you make some mistakes. The cossaks - Don ,terek ,Kuban.... never use spurs. Control the horse was done with a lash. So cossack never use saber with garda. Saber with garda was use dragoons regiments. Cossacks troops ( Don Kuban...) use shashka-saber without garda. Just steppe cossaks regt. use steppe type shashka . Caucasian regt. use Caucasian type shashka.
    Gaudin and ChaosCossack like this.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    krugliy80 / Dmitry - Many thanks! I very much appreciate corrections of this type!

I can easily remove the spurs and make and add the "lash". Is the photo titled "nagaika" correct for what you are calling a lash?

What is a "garda"? Is a "garda" a Russian word for scabbard? I suspect not. Could you provide a photo or drawing of a garda?

The image I used as reference for the sword clearly is for a Dragoon, not a Don Cossack. But the sword hilt and scabbard look right. The attached photo of Kozma Krioutchkov, a 3rd Don Cossack Rgt trooper seems to show a sword in a scabbard. The photo of a Cossack NCO looks, to me, like he is wearing a sword in a scabbard. The posed photo of four Don Cossacks with swords unsheathed also shows them wearing scabbards. So I think "garda" doesn't mean scabbard.

Just as a matter of curiousity, could you identify the Cossack regiment portrayed in the photo of the painting, "unkn cossack"?

Finally, just for fun, I'm attaching a photo of recipient of two George Crosses and a medal I can't identify with the curliest hair and most outlandishly tilted cap I've ever seen.

Thanks again for your help!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Huw63 and Martin Rohmann like this.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Talking to Dmitry via pF conversation and e-mail, apparently the "garda" is the sword hilt, so I'll remove that also from this figure and add the lash.

All the best,
    Dan
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Based on Dmitry's advice and references, I've made the recommended changes for historical accuracy. Thanks again Dmitry!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Huw63 likes this.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    OK - I didn't like the nagaika or lash at all and have now removed and replaced it. I'm letting it dry against the thigh of the horseman and will post a photo when completed.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    So here's the new nagaika.

I believe this one is now complete and, after cleaning, will be ready for a painter.

Up next - the Ottoman lancer!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good Dan.
    You are almost there with the shashka... the tell tale feature of the Cossack shashka is the handle area... no knuckle bow, no crosspiece on the hilt and the falcon head handle. Just a tiny detail.
    Sword14.jpg 131439539703_1_0_1.jpg anna-silver4.jpg
    Don't forget they are usually paired with a matching (or near matching) dagger tucked in the waist belt.
    kindjal_01.jpg Cosacos_Artilleros_de_Terek_m.jpg $_1.jpg

Keep up the great work Dan

Cheers

Colin
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Colin - I'll remove crosspieces and make the other necessary changes. Much appreciated!

All the best,
    Dan
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I'm happy if those reference pics were helpful. It's a very distinctive style of chopper. I wish I could find the pic of my grandfather in uniform for you... WWII Kuban regiment but interesting to the subject. I'll keep digging through the boxes, I know it's there somewhere.

Keep up the good work

Colin
  11. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Colin, I dont think they will have a dagger, not for the type of uniform in Dan's reference.
    Shashka on the other hand is a part of uniform.

Going back to photographs Dan posted, the fellow with a lance standing next to his horse is no other but Kozma Krutchkov.

He is a first ever recepient of St. George's cross for bravery after almost single handedly dispatching 11 german cavalry men from a scouting party (Kozma and 3 friends run into a 27 strong unit). He became a poster boy for Russian army after that :D Some questioned the account slightly, but hey...

There was a bust of him done not so long ago, there is a thread on PF

* obviously typed this all up before realising there is a caption under the photograph doh!:facepalm:
    [IMG]
  12. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The unknown fellow in the painting is Horunzhij of 5th Orenburg Cossak regiment, Army of Ataman Dutov. 1919.
    Its an illustration for military magazine from 2002
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    You're right G... no dagger for the Don regiments. I got all carried away going through my trove of Cossack references. ;)
    But yes the classic shashka profile became standard through all the Cossack regiments by this time.

cheers

Colin
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    You're right G... no dagger for the Don regiments. I got all carried away going through my trove of Cossack references. ;)
    But yes the classic shashka profile became standard through all the Cossack regiments by this time.

cheers

Colin
  15. krugliy80 New Member

United-States
    Hi all!!! Guys if somebody knows how translate from russian this material on english ??? Not bad inforation about steppe cossacks forses on WW1 . I try ,but tables kill me. http://refdb.ru/look/2411765.html Скачать работу-for download. Dan i try translate but its very hard, exactly special words...
  16. krugliy80 New Member

United-States
    So if some body find english subtitres you can look nice film about Don cossaks The Quiet Don based on the book by Mikhail Sholokhov
  17. krugliy80 New Member

United-States
    Pess on subtitres -down about clock and will be subtitres. But remember - the film consist from 3 part ... ))) I hope this moovie will help
  18. krugliy80 New Member

United-States
    On this Photo my Grandfather Alexey Iosifovich Smoilenko(from left)- cossack 1st Hoper regt. of Kuban army (cohort) ,1915 ,turkish front ,WW1 . As you can see Kuban army has Caucasian type of Shashka and caucasian dagger ( some time type KAMA-straight sword or BEBUT-curved blade). If you zoom photo you can see 1X on shoulder strap- this mean 1 Хоперский (1st Hoper) Рисунок (82).jpg
    ChaosCossack and Huw63 like this.
  19. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks for sharing some really interesting family history.

Cheers

Huw
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks for the references and corrections, Dmitry, Colin, Huw and Gaudin! Great stuff!

All the best,
    Dan