1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

42nd Highlander Blackwatch

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by KeithP, Nov 26, 2005.

1. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    About 1/2 way thru now. I figured I better post something...

Tunic is done except for the metals. Bonnet done... On to the kilt and the tartan, gulp ;) .

One of two... Comments and critiques always welcome and requested.

1 of 2.

Attached Files:

2. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    2 of 2. Thanks for looking. :)

Keith

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Keith, Nice to see some progres. you're doing a good job on him.~Gary
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You are making some fantastic progress Keith. Beautiful work so far.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gorgeous! (y)

Spectacular photos, what is your setup?
  6. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Gary - Thanks. Too much job and too many home projects lately. It's good to finally post an in process work.

Guy - I appreciate your comments. :)

Gordy - I use a Nikon Coolpix 3100 on auto with the macro enabled. Also, with a tripod. Lighting is with a ceiling fluorescent fixture and two side lamps: one acculilte and another with a 60W Reveal bulb. This is the same lighting that I paint under too. That makes a big difference in getting the figure to look like it does on my bench. And, the blue background is a sheet of heavy construction paper.

Keith
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have a Nikon Coolpix 885 that suffered a "system error" and the camera just foze and shut down with the lense extended. Have you encounted any strange problems with your Nikon? I think my Nikon took better pics than the Olympus I'm using now. Too bad it crapped out.~Gary
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Keith, looks great, you did a fantastic job.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc.
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have a Nikon Coolpix 885 that suffered a "system error" and the camera just foze and shut down with the lense extended. Have you encounted any strange problems with your Nikon? I think my Nikon took better pics than the Olympus I'm using now. Too bad it crapped out.~Gary
  10. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Roc - Thanks for checking in. I appreciate your comments! :)

Gary - I have had the Nikon 3100 for a couple years now. Never had a bit of a problem with it. It is a real gem to use. Before I had this digicam, I could not take a decent photo to save my life. I highly recommed this camera.

Ketih
  11. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hello Keith,

You took well advantage of the beautiful sculpted face. Great looking expression . (y) ! Love the red of the coat very much too. BTW, you're very courageous saving the painting of the kilt for the last stages. I would start with it not risking an already satisfying paintjob being ruined by badly excecuted tartan.

I too have a Nikon camera (Coolpix 7900) and as you said these cameras are real gems, highly recommended. This type got the award of best compact digital camera here in Europe.
    The only thing I need is more practice and getting a good set up to photograph my figures. Up till now my photos don't show the qualities of the camera.

Best regards

Johan ;)
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well I like the results the camera gives you, the colors are really vibrant.~Gary
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting, Keith! That face is particularly good - nicely tanned, great shadows! Quite life-like. What an unusual pose.

It may be the lighting, but the black fur hat looks a little shiny. Wouldn't it be flat in "real life"? I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I've seen the Brit guards wearing that type hat posted at Buckingham Palace, et. al. places, but too many years ago to remember for certain.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Keith,
    an excellent start to an excellent figure! Keep us posted. LMK how you plan to approach the tartan, and maybe some nice in-progress shots of that part.

Jay H.
    OKC
  15. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nicely done Keith. I really like your reds and fleshtones. I can't wait to see your tartan. :) Keep up the good work.

Xenofon
  16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This already looks a lovely piece Keith, good luck with that tartan!
    If anything keep the colours as dark as you can (makes up for a multitude of sins!)

best wishes mate
  17. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Not sure about the camera advice :( but you have certianly got a very nice looking figure on your hands here. The eyes are particularly well done (y). Interesting your choice of a base for the tartan. I thought it was a military or gov't. tartan. In the pic it has a blueish tone. Not that it's wrong, just wondering.

Jim Patrick
  18. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the posts, guys. I appreciate the comments.

Tartan - I will make a point to remembering to take some in process shots of the tartan. I have an older article by Dr. Mike Thomas that has the most "rational" method I have seen for painting the tartan as well as the diced bands and hose. If any one is interested that article, let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Dan - I think that you are right about the bonnet being a bit shiny. The main components of the mix is ivory black and indigo. I don't think this is completely dry. If it not duller in a week or so, I'll matt.

Keith
  19. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Jim- Thanks for your comments.

You are right this is the government sett. And, from what I have found on the internet, there is a blue component to this tartan. I have started with the ble acrylic base and will go on to the greens shortly.
    BTW, I like your version of this figure that you have in your gallery!

Here is a pic of the a listed Blackwatch / Government tartan that I found at this link.

http://www.tartansauthority.com/web/site/T...ntalTartans.asp

OTH, if any one has info to the contrary on the colors for the tartan, pls let me know.

Keith

Attached Files:

20. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    You know what Kieth? I think your'e right! I painted mine in different shades of green. Another reason to get this figure again! BTW, did you have any problems with the legs? I did. Plenty has been said about Latorre's sculpting but I found these legs and ankles to be too small. Of course though, to be honest, I did drop mine! :( :lol: Looking forward to your version Kieth ;)

Jim Patrick