1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras, June 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Ski, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Henk is 100% correct. They're blown up on these screens so much, and that is seldom kind. Plus digital photography sees things differently to the human eye, which doesn't help. These are magnificent.
    Waterlooman and Nap like this.
  2. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    You are spot on BP, the camera catches everything. I'm just a perfectionist, as best I can be, still learning. Thanks for the kind words, Amigo!
    Waterlooman likes this.
  3. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Dynamic Trio

Here’s the next set of faces done within the last week. The weather has been cold and sometimes wet, with snow flurries, if you can imagine that, in April, HA! T’sall good, I’m taking advantage of the down time and working these figures. This really is a fun set to work with. Kudos to Vladimir, once again.

[IMG]

I really like how the standing figure came out; he’s got that dark almost Burgundy color tone to his hair which makes his features more prominent. The wounded figure was pretty straight forward and fun to paint, but the snarling chap leaning forward was a real bear. His facial features weren’t cooperating as well as the others. I recon it’s just a state of mind when dealing with so many faces to paint, you’re bound to get one or two that will give you a hard time. When in doubt, Ruck Over, Bby!

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]

As mentioned before, these will be set aside while I work the last three figures; Hatched man, Baby Face Drummer Boy, and the fallen French horse rider with body armor. I’m sure someone will correct my description of the horse rider, cause right now I forgot what he’s called, HA! No worries, steady as she goes.

Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.
    Waterlooman, -=König=-, arj and 6 others like this.
  4. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Really enjoying following your progress Ski, great work with the faces.
  5. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Steve,

Maybe "Pierre" would be a good name for your French cuirassier :D

BTW following your massive project with great interest.

Karl
    Nap likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Dear Mr Ski

Sorry to hear about the snow ....not ! ...to your advantage...lol

Your painting really is bringing out the quality of the figures and it shows your enjoying the benchtime

Each face is well done and full of character ...a tough bunch

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap

PS ....Hide the snow shovel !
    Waterlooman likes this.
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good progress Ski, must be a real task to paint so many faces in this scale, bet you will be glad to move onto some uniform painting soon.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Nap likes this.
  8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks, Karl. I haven't done any in depth research on really at all. I appreciate the intel, so now I will address him properly. Thanks for following along, too;)

Thanks, Kevin. Hide the shovel, R U crazy or sumppin? My little woman would have my hinny in a sling, HA! Na, just flurries, Bro, enough to keep the bunker powered up for a bit longer, lol. Thanks for the kind words too, Brother.

Thanks, Stevo. Painting these little fellers is a real hoot, but made so much easier with #6 and #8 readers. The #8 readers you sent me are tough, my nose get's in the way, HA! Who'd a tunk it?

Thanks, Gents.
    Nap and 1969 like this.
  9. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The faces look superb Steve.
    Very well done.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Andrew!
  11. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hatchet Man, French Cuirassier, and Baby Face Drummer Boy

The last three faces are almost done, baby face Drummer Boy being the slacker in this final set. I was fighting the good fight yesterday only to scrub his face with an oven cleaner bath. He too was not cooperating. No worries, I’ll get him done in short order.

[IMG]

The French Cuirassier was a fun one to paint. He doesn’t have any overly exaggerated features, so it was smooth sailing with this guy. I went ahead and painted much of the surrounding armor and fluff just to get it out of the way and to get a perspective of what it would look like further in the process.

[IMG] [IMG]

Hatchet Man was a bit more of a challenge due to his sharp features around the nose and mustache; it was tight quarters around the mouth, etc. I had started with this figure in the very beginning, but had to scrub him as well. This time around it was a much easier run. He’s now good to go and like the French Cuirassier he too has been set aside to dry completely. The pics may be a bit fuzzy.

[IMG] [IMG]

I’ll work Baby Face this week and get him completed. His super light skin tone threw me off for a bit, but I can see where I was drifting from the main objective, so he’ll be dialed in shortly.

More to follow and thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.
    Oda, Nap, 1969 and 3 others like this.
  12. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm considering buying shares in oven cleaner.....

I've realised that when I do a group of similar figures, I need to stop comparing them to each other,otherwise I'll keep starting over and over....

Great progress Steve, keep at it.
    Oda likes this.
  13. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Following closely...
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see you cracking along with this one still, making good progress Ski.
    Cheers
    Steve
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Always a good idea to have that can handy, Henk. Thanks, Amigo!

Thanks, Warren, you're a steady encourager.

Thanks Brother, steady ar she goes;)
  16. santi fernandez Well-Known Member

Spain
    Great job,Steve!!!!
  17. Waterlooman A Fixture

Superb work - look at all those details - amazing work.

W.
  18. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you, Santi.

Thanks, W!
    Waterlooman likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Nice update ...hatchet man looks good , Cuirassier coming long nicely ....typical youngster being awkward !

Happy benchtime and have fun

Nap
  20. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Kevin. I think I got him behaving now, lol.
    Nap likes this.