1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras, June 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Ski, Feb 21, 2022.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see you on a roll with the faces Ski.
    Steve
  2. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Tanks, Nap. I'm going to redo the eyes, they're too buggy for me now.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve, don't get to bogged down in the super tiny detail. Digital imaging has been a fantastic tool to share and show our work with likeminded souls across the globe, but the ability to zoom in to inhuman closeness is showing even the most minute error or omission in enormous detail. None of it would be visible when viewing the piece in real life.

Your faces in 54mm are looking good. Slightly overdone shadows, to account for the scale, but not in a cartoonish way.
    Looking forward to more..
    Blind Pew likes this.
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Stevo!

Thanks, Henk.
    I know what you're saying Henk, but in this Sport, this is the only way "you" will ever see these figures. So, we have to play to the camera, can't change that.
    Henk likes this.
  5. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Head #3 and Clean Up on Bag Piper

Figure #3 was a lot more fun than the last two. Reason being, I’m in the slot and I see improvements in the skin tones and blending. This is the main reason I prefer to keep the momentum going when doing a set of faces. I don’t have to go back and relearn whatever sequence and techniques were followed in the past. I know, it sounds strange, but this Sport is seasonal for me, can’t get around that.

I’ll do any touch-ups in the next few days after the oils set up, but I think #3 is good to go for now.

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG]

Of course, that little fuzzy has to be hanging off his lip, HA! Never fails, does it?

The Bag Piper needed a bit of reworking, especially that cauliflower left ear. I caught that after taking the initial photos. The nice thing about this resin set is that the resin is not super stiff and can be reworked easily. I also went back over the left eye and reduced the size of the iris, but now the right eye looks too big, HA! I’ll get to that one eventually as well.

[IMG] [IMG]

Outside work has already started, so I’m trying to keep the momentum going as long as I can, wish me luck.

Thanks for watching and more to follow. Cheers, Ski.
    Viking Bob, Blind Pew, sd0324 and 9 others like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ski

Coming along nicely there , plenty of individual characters in the sculpts , being brought out well ....you keep that momentum going , dare I ask what's started outside !

Thanks for sharing the updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Kevin.

Ya, you really don't want to know how long the list is. I spoke with my Boss, the pretty little woman, and we both agreed that work till noon or 1PM would suffice on a daily basis, weather permitting, so bunker time should still be a go! Keeping animals and 5 acres in a fire zone is constant maintenance, but we love it.
    Nap likes this.
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's some nice progress Ski, faces are coming along nicely.
    Cheers
    Steve
  9. kempie Member

England
    Looking great Ski, you’ve definitely got your groove on!
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Stevo!

Thank you, Kempie. I'm trying to keep it goin, Ruckin On.
  11. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Fantastic start on the head...
  12. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thank you, Warren!
  13. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Dynamic Duo

The standard bearer and one of the riflemen have been painted over the past week as time permitted. The standard bearer’s eye sockets had to be cleaned out and refilled with Tester’s tube putty. Fortunately, the resin is soft enough to work small areas without destroying larger sections. This is my third time reshaping a set of eyes, but it’s not a big deal. These figures are incredibly well detailed, but even then, some areas like the eye sockets may need a bit of clean-up after the primer coat, much easier to identify.

[IMG]

It took me awhile to get the correct tones around the rifleman’s eyes, he was giving me a hard time, lol. I may do a little more touch-up, but for now, he’s ok. The standard bearer was a smooth process, no major issues.

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]

As long as I can sneak into the bunker at least a few days a week, I should be getting to the tartans in short order.

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well done on the work on the eyes Ski, looks great.
    Steve
  15. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking great Ski! :)

Cheers,
    Ken
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Gents, greatly appreciated.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ski

You are 'ruckin' along here Nice dynamic duo ........you keep sneaking into the bunker young man

Thanks for sharing the updates

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  18. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Lovely face painting there Steve.
    Nap likes this.
  19. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Never mind sneaking into the bunker... why are you out of the bunker?

Seriously though, good brush work on the faces Steve, looking very much forward to see you tackle the tartan.
    Nap likes this.
  20. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Nap, Peter, and Henk!

Spring has sprung, Henk, so outside work takes priority. Ya know, How much is a happy wife worth?, Everything!
    Nap likes this.