1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras, June 1815

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Ski, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Not sure if you have this , there is article on 42nd which includes tartan

IMG_1244.JPG

If not here's the tartan details

IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1243.JPG

Nap.
  2. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    thats going to be very impressive when finished
  3. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Me Hermano!

Thanks, Warren!

Thanks, Kevin. The brush, Artist's Loft (tm) Vienna. Can't remember where I got it, but I like it. Thanks for all the templates, you've found a few I couldn't find, very useful!!
    Nap likes this.
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks, Steve, more to follow;)
  5. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Awesome, Kevin, this will help. So far, looks like I have the main part of the flag correct. That black and white gives a great view of the script in the center of the circle, and the taertan layout, beautiful. Thanks, Bro!
    KenBoyle, Nap and Scotty like this.
  6. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Amazing work on the flag
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Steve!
  8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Sphinx, Wreath and Letter Definition

This is just a quick update on the smaller details and minor adjustments to the lettering. The left side of this flag is complete for the time being. I know the lettering and other features appear rather bright right now, but they will be toned down later.

The AK Gold was a royal pain to work with. Not only are the fumes toxic, but the paint dries faster than I’d like it too. With such a small amount of paint on the brush workability time was too short. My 3M respirator filter is really difficult to work around, the filter impedes the brush when working that close. So, acrylic tones in the golden yellow range became the logical solution. I went over the leaves and other details with oils as well for more tonal definition. I will continue cleaning the remainder of the figures until this sets up for a few days, then work the right side of this flag.

Quick note: The sphinx and white “X” within the blue emblem were shaded with oils to coincide with the existing shadows in the appropriate places.

[IMG] [IMG]

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I'm full of admiration that you even started to work on this diorama.

Fascinating to follow and thanks for taking the time to post so many WIP's.

Keith
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Agree there Keith ....the diorama figures are great but a heck of a lot of dedication from Mr Ski ........colours coming on nicely

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  11. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Keith, thanks for hangin out, Amigo!

Thanks, Brother!
    Oda likes this.
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's some fine brush work Ski, looks great to me.
    Steve
  13. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Bro. Need to brighten up the center script just a bit, but so far, I'm happy.
    1969 and Nap like this.
  14. Oda A Fixture

Huge,huge amount of respect for any fellow modeller willing to tackle such a gigantic project.Vladimir Danilov's works are as close to perfection as is humanly possible.Following with great interest.

Oda.
    winfield, Nap and sd0324 like this.
  15. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Oda. The sculpting is top notch, fun to work with.
    Nap likes this.
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Out of the frying pan and into the fire Steve! Great start on this project. Love the detail on the flag.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  17. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Neal. Ya, I was cookin towards the end of the last set, HA! It's kinda nice to drop back to 1/35th-54mm, been over 10yrs, so we'll see if I can handle the minute details after so long.
    Nap likes this.
  18. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    You are doing amazing work Steve! I love it. :)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Nap likes this.
  19. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Amigo!
  20. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Primed And Ready To Go!

Over the last week I’ve been cleaning up the rest of the figures and getting a primer coat on them using Floquils Primer Gray. I’ve been using this Floquil primer for decades, so when I heard the news back in 2013, if I remember correctly, that Testors was going to discontinue its Floquil and Polly S line of paints I hit every hobby store I could to snag the last few bottles of this primer. I have three brand new bottles from that scavenger hunt, so I recon I’m good to go since my last bottle has lasted for years. Like anything else in this hobby, we always hate to see good lines go away, Floquil being one of them.

I prefer this primer over any other primer I’ve tried in the past because it’s easy to control with a brush as long as it hasn’t started to dry out. Trying to airbrush these little guys would have only created a build-up in all the wrong places and ruin the incredible detail. This primer is actually pretty thin straight from the bottle anyway.

Since I really don’t fancy fabricating broken parts or fighting tight spots when painting, some of the arms and gear will be removed when I start to paint the tartans and other fine details. Somewhere in the process I’ll get back to finishing the flag. I’m already rummaging through my odd chunks of wood in the shop for something that has character for this base.

I had my mind set on a gorgeous piece of drift wood that has been hanging out in the shop for the past 20 years only to be over ruled by my wife. She still has something in mind for that chunk, so I’m still looking, HA! Actually, that chunk of drift wood had some incredible details that would have accented this set of figures nicely, but it aint’ worth the tussle later, if ya get my “drift”, HA!

Here’s the entire crew ready for the brush.

[IMG]

Ok, back to work, we are running out of time, cause Spring is coming up fast. More to follow soon.

Cheers, Ski.