1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 40mm Yorktown Command, 1781

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Jun 5, 2024.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Oh, i love brownstuff, and yes, it is stiffer than greenstuff and you can sand it with no issues.
    I do mix it with Magic sculpt as well depending on what i am working on.
    Briggsy, Nap and Waterlooman like this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I am currently working on the shape of the tails, i added the sword and placed the left tail in place over the sword.
    I added the false front pockets for the vest and front lace for the coat and las adittion is the lace for the back. 20240610_164501.jpg 20240610_164516.jpg
    Martin64, MalcC, Briggsy and 4 others like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

A marvel to look at even as it stands,with the new additions and convertions it will definitely be an outstanding piece of modeling.

Oda.
    MarquisMini, Waterlooman and Nap like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Daniel

The additions are looking good , like the sash , look forward to seeing more on those coat tails

Happy brown stuff pushing

Nap
    MarquisMini, Waterlooman and Oda like this.
  5. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Really great conversion work, I still marvel at the detail you get in so small a space. Got a Granddaughter today so will have to try the brown stuff later.

Cheers Simon
    MarquisMini, Oda and Waterlooman like this.
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Oda, Kev and Simon,
    Much appreciated for the comments.
    @Simon,
    I am sure your "Grandpa Duty" went well.
    Maybe grandaughter will help you with figure painting one day ;-)
    Briggsy and Waterlooman like this.
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Comte de Rochambeau is ready for primimg and painting.
    I hace read that Rochambeau actually wore an " undress" coat at Yorktown rather than the grand unifirm.
    It makes sense during a campaign.
    Instead of the red vest and troussers i will paint them in white.
    I believe they were probably of a lighter clotg since it was still late summer when they started the siege. 20240613_142939.jpg 20240613_142951.jpg 20240613_150644.jpg
    Martin64, MalcC, clubcat and 6 others like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Daniel

Nicely worked additions , certainly makes sense ref uniform he wore ....again good research

Look forward to seeing those whites

Have fun @ the bench

Nap
    MarquisMini, Waterlooman and Oda like this.
  9. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Stunning little figure, I know I've said it before but the detail in scale is really impressive. It always baffles me why white was such a popular uniform colour across the ages, so difficult to keep clean and presentable, it does look good though.

Cheers Simon
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Some of those white uniforms started out as undyed, natural wool or linen. Natural wool has a very light grey or greyish-white color. What's amusing about that, and your mention of keeping it clean, was that armies adopted coloring the natural wool to make it proper white. The Prussians used a solution of chalk to color their cuirassiers' Kollets, for example. Talk about making it more difficult to keep clean! Like pipeclaying your belts and pouches.

Prost!
    Brad
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks Kev,
    I hope my whites on the Vest and pants will loolk right.
    Waterlooman likes this.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Same here, but white goes with everythimg, and it was cheaper to find.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Indeed Brad, and you are bringing a great deal of information, always appreciate your knowledge here :)
    theBaron, Briggsy and Waterlooman like this.
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hat is almost done, white cockade ( France) and black cockade ( Patriots/ Continental Army) was worn over the white to symbolise their alliamce.
    Still need lights and shadows on the hat.
    Hat brim was painted using. Combination of Vallejo Game " Glorious gold" and few drops of Vallejo yellow ink.
    Face and wig completed. 20240615_151718.jpg 20240615_151727.jpg
    Martin64, MalcC, theBaron and 3 others like this.
  15. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I am laying the base color for the white vevest and trousers using this combination, mainly white and you can add a little black and japanese uniform.
    For lights i will add more white, for shadows more german grey.
    I've painted the crimson Sash with the combimation of vallejo flat red and murderous magenta, added a little light to the mix using light orange on the edges and where the sash protrudes a littleor whatever the name is haha.
    Sealed the Sash with Vallejo brush on satin varnish. 20240615_183439.jpg 20240615_183515.jpg 20240615_183416.jpg
    Martin64, MalcC, theBaron and 4 others like this.
  16. Waterlooman A Fixture

Excellent work as always, its a really nice figure with some excellent painting skills, painting eyes at this scale - what can I say.

W.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Daniel

He has a great face on him , highlighted by the work so far on the hat ...nice detail on the cockade

Bring on those whites I say

Thanks for the updates

Looking forward to seeing more

Nap
    MarquisMini and Waterlooman like this.
  18. clubcat PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    You really have brought his facial features alive, they are lovely.
    Melanie
    MarquisMini, Nap and Waterlooman like this.
  19. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

Daniel, I have missed a couple of updates, been a busy weekend. He is coming along a treat, love what you've done so far and the use of colour in so small a space is really good, hungry for more!

Cheers Simon
    MarquisMini likes this.
  20. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks my friend,
    My hands tremble a little when it comes to paint eyes, that can completely ruin a figure.

Cheers!