1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 3rd New York Regiment 1776, El Greco bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jun 22, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the final pics of my intrepretation of Matt Grech's magnificent sculpt.

I've chosen to paint him in the colours of the 3rd New York Regiment.

Hope you like it

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Tony, what's next?
    Carl.
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done Tony!

Jay H.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Carl, I appreciate you support throughout this project. Next is a 54mm WW1 French Poliu from Jon Smith.

Hi Jay, thanks mate.
  5. Hardy Guest

Excellent work mate. Hardy
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Amazing work Tony, specially in the eyes:)
  7. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Great bit of work Tony.I especially like the way you have painted the powder horn.(y)

Regards,John
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Super job Tony. Like the eyes & the hat highlights especially.
    Cheers,
    Chris(y)
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Hardy, thanks mate. Always a treat to get the "thumbs up" from you.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Pedro, thank you for noticing the eyes. I spent a lot of time trying to make them look good, and I'm glad you like them.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day John, the powder horn was definitely a challenge, but after doing the moko on the Maori warrior I felt confident I could handle the fine details. I'm very glad you like it, thanks.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Chris, I appreciate your comments mate. Thanks
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice work, the skin tones are excellent. I really like the horn it looks so real.
  14. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Tony.
    Excellent work!
    I think your work completed wonderfully.
    I had not painted a figure of this manufacturer.
    But I saw your work and learned about wonderful of this manufacturer.
    Thank you very much.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mike, to say that the horn looks real is the ultimate compliment you can give me. Thank you very much.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mitsutaka, thanks mate. I appreciate your comments and I'm hapy you like the bust. This is the first El Greco bust I've painted but it won't be the last. Perhaps you should try one yourself.
  17. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Tony, Magnificent job on this bust!!

It has been a rare treat to get a peak into your process, from research to final execution. You've moved quickly but deliberately, and your photos (which are really well done, BTW) have let us see each step.

The face and eyes grab one's attention immediately, conveying to me a sense of fatigue, but also of determination to continue the fight. The uniform is well done, with the less typical colors enhancing the tone of the piece. I think you succeeded in bringing the powder horn to life, probably as the sculptor intended, without making it the sole focus of the piece (probably a slippery slope for all who attempt this work).

In short, you've set a high bar for those of us who will next attempt this bust.

Many thanks for sharing your work with the pF community!

Best regards,

Don
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Don,

I want to acknowledge the great help and encouragement you've given me throughout this project; from my earliest research on units of the Continental Army and State militias, right through to the colour of the buttons on the facings (pewter not silver, right?). The horn was tricky, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. It's not the focus of the bust, but the colours of the horn contrast nicely with the grey and green. Thanks once again for your support; it's most appreciated my friend.
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent, great colors

Marc
  20. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely completed Tony!!

and the powder horn looks great...

Mark