1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

3D Scanning

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by DUFF, Nov 16, 2016.

1. DUFF Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Hello everyone,

We are a small company producing resin models in 1/35 scale. But we are thinking also about 1/16 scale. Our site is www.assaultmodels.com.

Like many companies, we are using 3D-modeling for manufacture of same parts of figures, such as weapons and ammunition. Some companies produce theirs figures completely in 3D. We want to go further. We want to create models using 3D scans of real people, properly dressed and equipped. Our dream is to see exact copy of real man on the shelfs.

Our first experience you can see on the following pictures.

[IMG]

We think that the process of creating such models may be interesting to people. That's why we decided to write here about our current work.
    anstontyke, stoffy01, Drenth and 8 others like this.
  2. Ong Active Member

I have some Assault Models figures and they are excellent! I would be thrilled if Assault Models made 1/16 scanned 3D figures.

I prefer the same figure as the photos above in 1/16 scale, but with the SAW standing on its buttstock as that would be a more practical pose than having the SAW cradled in the arms against the chest.
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. armorer Member

I love this way. (y) But I don't see the creation and design of 3D digital sculpting from title of the section. :( I need a separate section for scanning.
    anstontyke, martin tabony and Drenth like this.
  4. Oda A Fixture

Impressive start and certainly very promising.I think that you are going to be very successful in this particular field.

Oda.
    anstontyke and Drenth like this.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Way cool! How about some SBS photos to show us the process?

All the best,
    Dan
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Drenth Active Member

Switzerland
    Only one / do it !!! But dynamic poses! Please in 75mm scale too ;-)
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. DUFF Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Thanks for your feedback!

I agree that this figure is more successful
    [IMG]
    ...but I don't have photos of its prototype in corresponding pose.

As for the process of scanning and 3D sculpting, it is something like this.

First, we are looking for people who have real military clothes and equipment, or their replicas.

Then we scan them. There are two suitable 3D scanning technology - using a handheld scanner or by photogrammetry. Each of the methods has its own advantages and drawbacks, but in any case, the result is far from ideal. We get a 3d model with a lot of defects: dead zone, where the geometry is completely broken, various distortion and noise...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    This scan is quite good, often scans are obtained much worse...

As a result, the model requires serious processing in the 3D editor. This step is the most time consuming and occupies 90% of the time of creation the figure. Another reason lies in the fact that we had to learn from scratch 3D modeling. If anyone reading this knows the 3D modeling (preferably in ZBrush) and wants to work with us, we are happy to consider it.

The next stage - growing modified model on 3D printer.
    [IMG]
    The picture shows the head grown in scale 1/16. The resulting figure will be further replicated in the resin.
  8. Ong Active Member

>>I agree that this figure is more successful

>>...but I don't have photos of its prototype in corresponding pose.

Thanks for the FYI. I would be interested in that 1/16 Marine cradling the SAW. It will be the most modern 1/16 U.S. Marine on market, that's for sure. :)
    anstontyke and Drenth like this.
  9. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    What a great figure! Please take this through to sales; I'd take one immediately!

I like it that the figure represents an ordinary infantry man, doing what infantry do most of the time: waiting.

Great work.
    anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  10. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    This is great. I know there are different opnions on scanning and sculpting but I love to see combination of both scanning and digital sculpting here.
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Manfred Active Member

Thank you for showing us the process which isn't simply: scan - print - tada !
    Very interesting.
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. DUFF Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Hello, friends!

I apologize that not written for so long - my computer have been broken.

During this time we have released the above model in scale 1/16.

But even more interesting, we made a new model of the US infantryman of World War II.
    We used photogrammetry method to scan the authentically equipped human: he was photographed at once by plenty of cameras.

[IMG]

Based on photos special software assembles 3D model.

[IMG]

As you can see, the model turned bad quality. Generally, it is disadvantage of photogrammetry at the current level of development. The advantage - is the rapid process of photographing.

Then in the model manually eliminated defects, drawn in details that were not initially visible. For example, the grid on the helmet, weapon and other elements were drawn from scratch, because to restore their original model would be more time-consuming.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

As a result, we got such a model:

[IMG]

We have already released this model yet in scale 1/35. You can “rotate” resulting resin figure on the following page.
    armorer, Manfred and anstontyke like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Great thread ...do a bust!

Impressive results

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very cool! How about an action pose of a WW1 subject? There are plenty of Great War re-enactors who might enjoy being the subject of one of your miniatures!

All the best,
    Dan
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. Ong Active Member

Very nice! You should post the news on the "Figure News" section as well so that more people will know about these two new figures.
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Couldn't agree more, many re-enactors from many different periods so a good catalogue of references and different poses.
    Regards
    Chris.
    anstontyke likes this.
  17. DUFF Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Yes, we could make the figures on the subject of the WW1. But I'm afraid those figures will not as popular as on the subject of WWII and modern...
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I feel it would be difficult for someone to hold an action pose while being scanned, not that I know much about these things.
    anstontyke likes this.
  19. DUFF Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Roughly speaking, now there are 2 ways of 3D scanning:
    1) by using handheld 3D scanner;
    2) by using a plurality of digital cameras (this technique is called photogrammetry).
    Scanning by the first method takes a few minutes, while the second - a split second. Thus, for action pose it is advisable to use the second method, because person simply does not have time to move. But the scan quality in the latter case is relatively worse:(
    Scotty and anstontyke like this.
  20. Mazayas Active Member

Impresionante los resutados