1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 33rd Regiment Crimea 1855 Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by blabsy, Dec 17, 2010.

1. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    after looking through the many photographs by Roger Fenton and all the faces staring back,I had an itch to sculpt another bust,all generic this time, a little from the many corners of my mind and people I know,its still a very long way off I admit,but this is where I am at the moment.
    I confess its a little crude at mo!!
    Hope you like it?
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com

Attached Files:

sarouman, gordy, crf and 4 others like this.
  2. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paul, great work on the face , so full of character. Will follow with interest.

Cheers Ken
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great character.

Marc
  4. Nap A Fixture

England
    33rd

Paul ,
    Great sculpting love the beard ...please say this is going to be a commercial piece , if not WHY not ...its great .

Are you workig from any particular references for the facial features ..whatever its generic and full of character .

Nap
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very promising Paul, will be following.

Steve
  6. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hey many thanks' Ken,Marc,Kev and Steve, very kind support!

Kev,its no one person just a mix of the photo's and the odd person I know...I did not know how far to take the features before it looked OTT? Not every one's a handsom bugger.
    So I started with the top photos and wanted to bin it,but no i'd give it a go to turn it round,as I said I'm at the stage of the lower pic's now.
    Here's a couple of pic's that offered some help by Mr Fenton and a mate from work(Trev your now a star).
    Best Regards of the season.
    Paul

Attached Files:

7. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Paul,
    nice work on these two characters.The lower lip is a tricky one.this is when positive and negative shape come in.I try to create the lower lip by the shapes around the mouth.the line of your lower lip is too pronounced.Try to think of the muscles around the mouth that give its shape.it could be easier thank you think.
    Andy
  8. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Looking very very good Paul, I think you've laid the foundations on very solid ground mate!

All the best to you and yours for Christmas and the New Year!

Ray ;)
  9. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Andy,thanks' for the input I have made the adjustment more pic's to fallow when I've done a little more to him.

Hi Ray,many thanks' for your kindness,and the seasons best to you mate and all that are dear to you.
    Best Regards
    Paul
  10. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    added a little more to him over the last couple of days,still not sure if its all working together,I think I need a break from looking at him.
    As always thanks' all for looking.
    Best Regards
    Paul

Attached Files:

11. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    just an up date on this,I stopped looking at him for a bit,not able to see the wood for the trees so to speak....
    Any way tweeked a few bits and bobs,the cap needed the most help,I'm keen to hear your thoughts,I need to tidy I know .
    Thanks' all for looking.
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com

Attached Files:

12. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Wood for the trees? or green from the grey?

Looks smashin' to me mate!

Can't wait to see it proper!

Cheers,
    Jon.
  13. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    this is the last incarnation of this bust,after constant tweeks here there and every where,so for me its time to stop.
    As far as I'm conserned I've very much learn as a sculpter,and keen to make improvements with each project.
    I am working on a British trooper 80th Rgt Zulu war,this I will post soon.
    I recived a casting of 33rd yesterday,so I'll start to do an SBS painting on here..........
    Thanks' for looking as always!
    Best Regards
    Paul

Attached Files:

gordy likes this.
  14. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Look forward to the painting (y)
  15. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I've been privileged enough to have a sneak peek at Paul's Zulu war bust, and it's a cracker! Looking forward to seeing it posted up, and the lick'o'paint on this one.

Cheers,
    Jon.
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paul, I like the subtle changes you've made ,the strap across the cap peak , the thickening of the collar and the lengthening of the torso all add up to a great finish. Looking forward to seeing the painting sbs.

Cheers Ken
  17. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi,
    and cheers Gordy,Jon and Ken.
    Time is the key at the moment,job has become a vocation, not a job,but hey lucky to be moaning about one! sorry for thouse without.........
    The casting is warts and all,the boys at grey matters are top notch at showing up my lack of skills with wet putty.
    Even if say so myself its an interesting face,so to paint should be fun.
    As for the 80th soon!
    Thanks' for looking.....
    Best Regards
    Paul
  18. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Really good job and even a bust form that details are great.
    Great matter that you have create and wait for the rest of you prepare!!

Alexandros
    http://alexminiatures.blogspot.com/
  19. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks' for your kindness Alexandros.

Best Regards
    Paul