1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

3. SS Totenkopf, Festung Demjansk 1942

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Recon, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Recon Active Member

Norway
    Hi!

Here is my little summerproject with a Dragon figure, a Hornet head, magicsculpt and some small items from various sources. I have redone the buttons and altered the camojacket a bit, and at the moment I am in the process of sharpening some of the cast details.

[IMG]

The figure shows a member of SS Totenkopf in the harsh battles in the Demjansk pocket, called Festung Demjansk in german. The Totenkopf were used as a moving reinforcement from battle to battle with the Russians, using skiis to move around. I bought Concords book about Totenkopf while attending the show in Mosonmagyarovar, and it contains a lot of great pictures from the Demjansk pocket. Some of the pictures shows germans with Tokarev rifles, and I was lucky enough to find one in my spare weapons pile!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I hope to start painting in a couple of weeks, I just have to hollow out the sleeves and refine some of the details a bit more.

All comments are welcome!

-Sverre
  2. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Looks very nice already Sverre..........

Ray ;)
  3. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Very excellent sculpting!
    Very well done.

Mitsutaka
  4. Recon Active Member

Norway
    Hi guys and girls!

Im sorry to say that I didnt have time to take any in progress shots.
    I finished up this figure last week, and now I am just waiting for the nameplate before he is ready.

The painting of the figure was mainly a study in painting whites, and it is damn hard! I think it turned out fairly well, and I have learned a lot. Now that the figure is ready I wish I would have toned down the seams quite a bit, but that will have to be next time!
    I had a few thoughts about weathering the figure some more, but after seeing photos of the real soldiers, I saw that the skitroops had almost pristine white smocks. The mortar crews and entrenched guys is another story!

But enough words, pictures coming up!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments are welcome!

-Sverre
  5. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice Sverre...

you have handled the whites very nicely and I like the way you have oversized the clothing. That is something I think some sculptors don't do enough as most war time photos show clothing that looks over sized, almost like burlap sacks that were made into clothing.
  6. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi recon,
    i like this guy a lot :)

"simple" but in one word excellent (for me)

Seb.
  7. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    exellent work and the whites are great!

Mark
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Sverre,

Well done!
    I like very much the way you paint the Simonov.