1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

2nd Wisconsin volunteer Infantry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 2, 2006.

1. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Great start, Gary. Interesting subject. I look forward to seeing next steps.

Best regards
    Artur
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Artur, Thank you. More pictures will be on the way soon.~Gary
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the armature with the addition of the upper torso and spine. I like to only rough in the upper torso and then use copper wire for the spine. This allows me to postion the torso however I want. It is then locked in place with superglue. At this stage I have also started to refine the shape of the figure's bootees (shoes/boots).

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Once the pose is locked in place, putty is worked around the spine and the remainder of the body is roughed in.

More pictures will be posted at the end of the week.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Things have been a bit hectic, so little has been done on this guy. I wanted to get the bootee (shoes/boots) shape just right, so a lot of time was spent doing it. I've sculpted the right trouser leg but the folds do not look completely right. The problem area are the folds on the outside of the right leg. I'm either going to use my files to work the folds some more, or fill in that part of the leg with putty and totally rework them. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

6. MinasTirithGuard New Member

It may just be the angle of the photographs, but it seems to me that after the clothing was added the upper leg looks a little long. Great pose and anatomy though, good work.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ethan, Thanks. I have to build out the area of the crotch a little. It was something I noticed right away and will correct it somehow.~Gary
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I carved away the right trouser leg and sanded back the bottom half of the leg to shorten the length of the thigh. Both trouser legs were then sculpted. I have a few more folds to add to the right leg to fill it out a little more.

Attached Files:

9. Robert Dominick Member

United-States
    Gary,
    I have been wanting to ask you if you would be interested in sculpting a figure for Drummer Boy Miniatures. Since this piece will be completely scratch built, I would be interested in producing it as a kit. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, Robert drummerboymin@aol.com
  10. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ray, thank you.~Gary
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A little more work done on the lower half of the frock coat. After the putty and epoxy dries the seams will be blended together and additional folds worked in.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The one thing about Aves is it's amazing ability to pick every single little foreign item on your hands, in the air etc etc. Maybe myworkroom needs to be cleaned.lol

Left side of figure.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Aves does clean up well with fine sandpaper and steel wool.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    There's a little more yet to be done on the lower portion of the coat. I drilled and placed brass rod in place for the arms. The head and rifle are just part of the mock up. I did manage to knock off the right corner of the coat. :(

Sorry for the small pic.

Attached Files:

16. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Oouch, Pard! Minor set back though, I'm sure. ;)

Hey, less then 2 weeks before we stand on the ground where those brave fella's advanced! I'm sure it will give you added enthusiasm to finish him....And possibly motivation/inspiration for another. :)

Jason
  17. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I sure do hope this fella comes on the market, I have just the diorama idea for him.
  18. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hello Gary
    I see that this beautiful piece begins to take shape...
    Good the dynamic attitude and the movement of push of the legs and the arms.
    Moreover I admire always your finish cleaned up in the execution.
    Good continuous and good Job .

:) MAB
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Maurizio, Thank you. I'm going for a bit more animation in this piece.~Gary
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I managed to get a little more done on the lower part of the frock and finished the main parts of the gaiters.

Attached Files: