1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 2nd Missouri Cavalry, Merrill's Horse 1863

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Sep 20, 2015.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    frHey All

Just started a new mini-bust from FeR's "Portraits of the American Civil War". This one is a trooper of the 2nd Missouri Cavalry regiment, known as Merrill's Horse. Col. Merrill raised and outfitted the unit.

The distinctive uniform as prescribed by Merrill's regulation was strictly enforced and modifications or variations were prohibited. This uniform included the dark blue cavalry jacket with a stand up collar. the jacket was laced in yellow tape on the collar as well as darts up the sides of the back and on the front, form faux plastrons a la lancer jackets.
    The cap was a medium blue with no band unlike the usual dark blue Union kepi. On the flat crown was a brass company letter. Around the outside edge of the crown it was piped in orange as a nod to Merrill's origin as a US Dragoon.

So far I've finished the face, bar any fine tuning that might be needed. The hair, 'stash, cap/peak/strap and the jacket are all just blocked in with their base colours. I find I get a better idea of the skin tone once all the surrounding colours are blocked in... in this case I may need to lighten some areas a touch.
    DSC02095.JPG DSC02096.JPG DSC02098.JPG DSC02099.JPG DSC02100.JPG DSC02103.JPG DSC02105.JPG DSC02107.JPG DSC02108.JPG
    Any comments or suggestions are most definitely sought after and welcome...
    Any thoughts?

Colin
    zane666, Stephan, arj and 10 others like this.
  2. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Really like what you`ve done so far. The eyes look very natural.
    Cheers, Martin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Isn't it about time you bought some other colours besides blue? :playful:

Good start Colin, I'll be following.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looking nice so far. You are a convert to this series I see. They must be nice to drag you back to busts.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. yoshi Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I've bought this one at Euro yesterday. So thanks for the info. I'll follow this sbs.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. swralph A Fixture

Coming along well.(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    They have a nice range of busts from ACW period. I have not painted these yet but will soon.
    Off to a good start.
    Bob
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Very good work Colin.
    Your painting of his face is superb. The flesh looks like he has been in the sun for some time with a moonshine red nose. His moustache has come up very life like. I love it.
    All round it's shaping up to be one of your best My friend.
    All the very best.
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys for the supportive comments...

Martin, he's sculpted with the big bags under his eyes, the wrinkled brow and the droopy 'stash and I felt it gave him a weary, worn out look... I hope I was able to convey that look with the colour.

Roger, I figure "what the hell?", the devil you know right? I have a couple of figs in queue, primed and ready, that will force me to shelf my beloved blues... hold my hand Roger, I'm frightened :nailbiting:

Colin, Yoshi, Ralph and Bob, even though I'm not a fan of busts and half figs, I really like this series... well sculpted and cast, not so big and interesting subject matter. I will probably do more of these but rest assured, I will never turn my back on traditional figs... I'm a leg man at heart.

Thanx Keith, I felt as a "frontier" regiment, these would be hard, rough men, used to living outdoors... darker, leather tough skin... not pasty faced factory workers or miners. My real fear was over doing it and ending up with a George Hamilton or a Miami Beach retiree. I hope I found a balance in this tone.

Thanks again for the kind words

Colin
    Martin64, Wings5797 and billyturnip like this.
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    So, spray fake tan and crap music aside, what's up with George Hamilton?
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Lol no idea Keith. Just trying to avoid having my trooper look like him

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  12. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    And I quote "even though I'm not a fan of busts".....I'll remember that, mate:rolleyes:

Great 'tired old veteran' look.(y)
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx a lot Paul. Working on these busts has got me thinking a lot more about face painting.

But at the end of the day whether it's models or life... I am and always have been a leg man

Colin
    crf likes this.
  14. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nice work so far Colin. If I were painting the figure I would tone down the Blue cap. Use you base dark blue and highlight with sunny skin tone if painting in acrylic. The current shade/tone looks to vibrant.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Mike. This is just the base coat so there are a lot of layers going on it. But it couldn't hurt to fire on a couple of dark blue filters over the base before I start highlights and shades. It's not quite so bright looking out from under the photo lights.

I'll take a shot. Let me know what you think.

Colin
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  16. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice start!
    Will follow closely, bro!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The face is looking very good.
    Like you, I'm also finding digital photography seems to enhance and lighten colours, particularly blues.
    Looking forward to your next step.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    That's true Andrew... The light spots on the shoulders don't show to the naked eye at all. Weird

Colin
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno. I hope u can get to the next meeting... The last before Chicago.

Cheers brother

Colin
    crf and tiberius57 like this.
  20. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    That's the plan, my friend! See you soon!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.