1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

2nd Battalion, Hampshire Rgt, Kut, 1915

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The 2nd Battalion of the Hampshires were part of the 6th Indian Army Division that was at Kutt-al-amara in Mesopotamia (Iraq) in 1915.
    This is definitely WIP. Lots left to do - probably two weekends to finish, except that I'm working next weekend, alas, so it'll be awhile. The stretcher-bearer is a gift for a Doctor friend. The Lewis gunner is a commission.
    Figure 1 – Lewis Machine-gunner - obviously he's being shot
    • Wolseley sun helmet or ‘topi’ with black and amber regimental insignia on either side - Not mounted yet - it will be falling off the back of his head.
    • Light blue ‘greyback’ shirt with no collar
    • 1914 leather equipment
    • 0.455 inch Smith and Wesson revolver and ammunition
    • Lewis machine gun with disk ammunition holder
    • Sunshade on helmet and back
    • KD khaki trousers
    • M1902 khaki putties and brown half boots
    • On left hip, M1908 khaki haversack and entrenching tool helve
    • On right hip, M1908 entrenching tool head in khaki carrier and water bottle covered with khaki cloth and leather strip
    Hopefully, I can get all the equipment mounted so that it looks loose and hanging correctly at various angles.
    Figure 2 - Stretcher-bearer
    • Wolseley sun helmet or ‘topi’ with black and amber regimental insignia on either side
    • Light blue ‘greyback’ shirt with no collar
    • M1908 cotton webbing equipment belt
    • Sunshade on helmet and back
    • KD khaki trousers [KD was a uniform design of lightweight khaki cotton used in the Indian Army, I believe.] with suspenders
    • M1902 khaki putties and brown half boots
    • Khaki cloth covered 2 pint water bottle for patients with bare metal aluminum cup and leather straps
    • Large aid bag labeled “shell dressings”
    • Wrapped stretcher
    • On left hip, M1908 khaki haversack and entrenching tool helve
    • On right hip, M1908 entrenching tool head in khaki carrier and personal 2 pint water bottle covered with khaki cloth and hooked to belt
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    After these two are completed, next are two French Fusilier Marines with a trench periscope for Marc Megroot!

Critique and comment always welcome!!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work Dan,I like the first pic most!
    best regards
    christos
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    These look really nice already Dan. You are going to have your work cut out animating the equipment on the Lewis gunner.
    Should be nice timing for the start of my next leave :lol:

Roger.
  4. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Reminds me of a famous picture of the spanish civil war. did you use it as a reference?
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Patrick, Roger, & Christos - Many thanks for your kind comments! Roger - yes, animating the various pieces of field equipment is next up. Should be fun! Patrick - No references on this one, just wingin' it. Christos - I like the action of the pose also - hope I can make the gear look believable.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ohhhh! I feel that first guys pain! Good action there. One thought on the second standing figure, is he a little "wide of crotch"? He looks to have a bit too much space between the legs in his inner thighs for my taste. Maybe just me, but maybe worth looking into. Interesting subjects as per usual Dan! Keep it up!

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Jay - Thanks very much Jay!!!

Isn't it funny how putting photos online helps the sculptor identify stuff like this? I noticed that myself looking at the photos and made a mental note to fix it. It's an easy thing to remedy. He's meant to be pretty skinny, so I'll just angle in the sides of the crotch a bit, not a big change, but little things matter.

All the best,
    Dan
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good start Dan,
    Like it. The first picture is spot on.

marc
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks much Marc!!

All the best,
    Dan