1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

2Dreamers - Space Adventurer - Yuri Gagarin

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Brodie, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Started work on this excellent 1/9th bust by 2dreamers. A review is here

After some very quick cleanup work, the torso was sprayed with Halfords Grey Primer, which goes on very well and for the size of the can its a lot lot cheaper than Tamiya's, which i have noticed when using the latest can, the coverage isnt that great.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then a coat of Vallejo Grey was sprayed onto the Helmet areas, and also from below at an angle to put some shadows onto the flight suit. Then Vallejo White grey, again sprayed onto the helmet structure picking up the raised details and filling in some of the shadows. This was also sprayed at an angle from above to pick up the raised surfaces on the flight suit.

[IMG]

Next a pre made mixture of Tamiya Flat Red and Flat Yellow was sprayed gently over the whole suit, trying to keep some highlight and shadow details visible. Once dry lighter and darker shades of the orange were sprayed in accordingly.

[IMG]

Its a bit lighter than the photo shows.

Will probably add some more highlights by brush, before picking out the various tubes/hoses and zip.

Happy with it so far.
    Chris Oldfield, Henk, Perseas and 4 others like this.
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice pics Steve and I will follow this with interest. Halfords primer is so underrated as a product and delivers the same (subjectively better) performance than either 'Tamiya', 'GSI' or 'Game Workshop' primers costing many multiples more in the £/liquid content ratio.

Great start mate.
    Gary
    Chris Oldfield and Babelfish like this.
  3. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks

Halfords Primer- True, and it doesnt give off toxic fumes like the GW primers seem to do. ANother case of practicality over branding.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Off to a good start. I like this particular bust and fancy having a go at it myself some time.

Also another +1 to Halfords primer.

- Steve
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's a nice start, not something I am into but following with interest.
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  6. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

No pressure then lol
  7. Marcin Morawski A Fixture

Poland
    Very nice so far. This bust is on my long wish list.
  8. Airkid A Fixture

England
    I've gone back to Halfords Grey for figures. I still use Tamiya Grey on aircraft as I find I need to rake out the panel lines if I use Halfords. I've had no success with GW primers - have used Army Painter, which is good, but they are all expensive compared with automotive primer.

Yuri is coming on nicely Steve.

Phil
  9. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Few more highlights and shadows added to the suit. Pipes have been picked out as has the zip. Will add a few more highlights to the white helmet. and a few touch ups, then it will be onto the face and head.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Few more highlights and shadows added to the suit. Pipes have been picked out as has the zip. Will add a few more highlights to the white helmet. and a few touch ups, then it will be onto the face and head.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Noticed on some ref photos that the 'tube'/pipe on his right shoulder should be brown, so this will need addressing.
    Chris Oldfield and Perseas like this.
  11. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Started work on the face and head;

[IMG]
    Perseas and Marcin Morawski like this.
  12. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Face has now had tones and washes added;

[IMG]
    Perseas, Henk and Marcin Morawski like this.
  13. Marcin Morawski A Fixture

Poland
    I'd correct his eyes. Enlarge the irises.
    I don't know what photos the bust was taken from, but he doesn't look like Yuriy... Something strange with this sculpt I sense ;) Of course none of your fault.

[IMG] gagarin lp.jpg

In mirror image, it looks more or less fine, pay attention to the shape of the lower lip and the shape of the eyes.

Stay safe.
    Perseas likes this.
  14. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    maybe its my painting of him that makes him look different ?. do you mean to shorten the height of the eyes themselves ? as in some photos they look quite large, others quite narrow

Screenshot_20210729-191756_Google.jpg Screenshot_20210729-191837_Google.jpg Screenshot_20210729-191933_Google.jpg
    Perseas likes this.
  15. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good so far Steve, you are certainly working with a challenging sculpt. Is the photo of Yuri in the spacesuit mirrored, or is the sculpt mirrored?
  16. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, image is reversed.

Redid his eyes last night.
    Marcin Morawski likes this.
  17. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Eyes repainted, lot happier with them now;

[IMG]
  18. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Eyes glossed and a few beads of sweat on the forehead;

[IMG]
    Martin64 and Marcin Morawski like this.
  19. Marcin Morawski A Fixture

Poland
    Very nice now! On the second pic he looks like in tears a little :D (left eye, lower lid), but looks good. How you get this brightness in light blue color?
  20. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Maybe gloss hadnt dried, enough or a tear for his loved ones as literally rocketing off into the unknown. Light blue -is a mix of Scalecolor Artist 75 Ultramarine blue, cobalt blue and white
    Marcin Morawski likes this.