1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 28mm Waterloo diorama

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I am starting a Waterloo diorama made from 28mm Perry wargame figures. I intend to portray Marshal Ney leading 2 ADCs and about 14 cuirassiers up the slopes at Mont St. Jean. Perry do some amazing plastic heavies and some nice figures of hit cuirassiers that are reminiscent of Shep's 54mm historex vignette of many years ago.

Painted in Liquitex professional bottled acrylics, with Citadel inks and some vallejos.

Colin

Attached Files:

moz, Martin64, pmfs and 20 others like this.
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work at this scale Colin :)
    Guy likes this.
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Amazing

Great painting at this ludicrusly small scale.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    What stands out for me is the braid work, very well done.
    Look forwards to the rest,
    Carl.
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This should be neat to watch. I love the stuff the Perry Brothers are doing. Their plastic sets are ripe for conversion work. ~Gary
  6. salonikios Active Member

Greece
  7. Paul Active Member

Germany
    That´s very nice..(y)
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,this is a subject very close to my heart and i love the start youv'e made,you have managed to capture ney's red hair beautifully,hard to believe its 28mm,i look forward to seeing the finished article,great start and good luck with the rest of the project.(y)
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks - the plastic heavies Perry produces must be seen to be believed. They are terrific. Here is the excerpt from the Waterloo panorama that the Perry Ney and ADC figures were based on.

Colin

Attached Files:

Guy likes this.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is a threat to follow.
    Gonna joy this very much as your painting gets further.

Marc
  11. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Colin!

Can't wait to see how you compose this scene. The Perry brothers are on my 'would love to have a chat to one day' list. They are so prolific as sculptors, illustrators and historians....great blokes!

I've been to Waterloo many times as a re-enactor (9eme Infanterie Legere), and some chums from the unit did a great article in 'Military Illustrated' on the Cuirassiers... I'll try and dig it out.

Cheers,
    Jon.
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Colin,
    good luck in principle for the diorama that will make, with so many miniatures and even on her scale.
    It's very nice job and I and other miniatures for this diorama!!

Alexandros
    http://alexminiatures.blogspot.com/
  13. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Colin,
    I love the Ney. I have seen that panorama and Waterloo in 2005. I have thought about it since I was a little boy when a friend of my father's gave me a booklet on the subject from the gift shop. I thought that I recognised that pose of Ney.
    What is the mounted 54mm in the background? A Historex perhaps? What are you working on besides the diorama (not that that it sufficient!)?
    All the best,
    Jay
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Jay - I too had that booklet from the Waterloo gift shop. Stupidly I sold it on. The figure in the background is a White Models 90mm Lasalle that you can see here on Vbench too. Not having painted anything since 2005, I am now doing a 90mm and a small scale dio at the same time....perhaps I need my head examined.

Colin
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'm enjoying reading this post colin,keep up the good work mate,michel ney was a very interesting character always leading from the front,and this miniature portrays this superbly,i visited the grave of ney back in 2001 while in paris and it was quite a strange thing being in the presence of a national hero.(y)
  16. asyo New Member

United-States
    I like it! paint well on this scale is not easy.
    bravo! And good work.
    hallo!
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    ADC Colonel Heymes

Here's figure #2 - Ney's senior ADC Colonel Heymes. Again uniformed per the Waterloo panorama. I really enjoyed painting this vibrant hussar dress with the wicked curved sabre. A little more to do on his face and on the horse but 95% complete.

Colin

Attached Files:

18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    And the 2 figures together.

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack and gordy like this.
  19. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Impressive !
  20. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    very fun, this will be a cool scene when finished.