WIP Critique 28mm Dominique Jean Larrey

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gazer, May 19, 2018.

1. gazer Member

Israel
    Good morning friends

This is my first "serious" miniature figure and my second figure ever. Due to my job requirements and due to parenting 2 hyperactive toddlers, unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to progress too quickly with this build...
    As a beginner, I'll appreciate your most sincere feedback and remarks , no mercy please! I want to learn and improve!

This is a 28mm Warlord Games miniature of Dominique Jean Larrey, a very prominent Napoleonic surgeon, considered by many as one of the founding fathers of modern military combat medicine. See the following thread: http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...ferences-identify-sources.113206/#post-905928

In my opinion, this metal figure is nicely sculpt, but due to it's size, I am not sure it was the best choice for a first figure. Anyhow, it was cleaned, filed, mounted temporarily on a base, and primed with gray automotive primer. After the primer dried I discovered yet some more mold lines, filed them again and re-primed. I started block painting the skin areas (face, hands, Vallejo basic skin tone), belt, boots, bicorn (Vallejo black) and pants (Vallejo white). The white was translucent, so I'll add more layers at a later date. The rest of the blocking process will also be done later, with Vallejo acrylics.

After blocking done, I plan to paint the entire figure with W&N oils.

Here are pics from today:
    IMG_20180519_101751.jpg IMG_20180519_101832.jpg
    Redcap, Nap and Viking Bob like this.
  2. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi there gazer

Good on you a nice start .....don't envy you on the scale though

Keep us all updated inbetween the hyper toddlers

Nap
  3. gazer Member

Israel
    Some more blocking with Vallejo acrylics - blue for the uniforms, another coat of white for the trousers, brown (mixed from red, yellow and black) to the hair. As promised, tiny steps, too far apart...
    Sincere feedback and suggestions (technique, historical aspects, etc) will be appreciated

25 05 2018 A.jpg 25 05 2018 B.jpg
    marco55 likes this.
  4. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi gazer

Good tidy start on this , might I suggest you base coat the gold lacework in a dark/mid brown .

Nice to have updates

Happy painting

Nap
    gazer likes this.
  5. gazer Member

Israel
    Thank you very much Nap!
    The "gold" part already started to daunt the back of my mind...
    One question though: The general plan is to do blocking with acrylics and the actual painting with oils. So, just to be sure, what you are actually suggesting is to do the blocking for the golden parts (epaulette, aiguillette, etc.) with brown?

Benny

One more thing (not related to the topic of this thread): for some reason I can't figure out how to include a quote of the post I refer to when replying...
  6. gazer Member

Israel
    Hi all!

Some progress, but before, inspired by MrBMBuilder, I have tried my own homemade wet palette for the acrylics, made from baking paper, Vileda reusable sponge cloth, and a plastic box with an air tight lid. Worked pretty nice, although, as a beginner, my point of reference is not very robust: IMG_20180714_120657.jpg

I continued with basic blocking, following Nap's advice at blocking the golden lace parts with brown. The last major thing before finishing the blocking, would be to figure out how the back of the uniforms looked like for this particular outfit (the red double-breasted)

14 07 2018 A.jpg 14 07 2018 B.jpg 14 07 2018 C.jpg

Cheers,

Benny