1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 24th foot SK miniatures bust - full figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    A few quick pics of my conversion of SK Miniatures 24th Foot 1879 converted into a full figure, still some cleaning up to do before priming in grey.
    Hope you like it
    Cheers
    Jim

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    MCPWilk, Old Pete, Redcap and 8 others like this.
  2. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very nicely done Jim! Great job.

Cheers,
    Ken
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jimbo

Nice to see you posting your sculpting , that's looking really good

I can see you've added a skirting to tunic and " legs" what else did you do ?

Must admit the bust was good but this would look amazing as a painted piece or even bronzed ....

....And now you have a spare head from it !

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  4. Trep Active Member

United-States
    very nice work, looks great
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim,
    I like where you are going with this one. I don't know if it's the angle of the photo always difficult to tell, but the right foot placement in comparison to the line of the knee looks awkward to me. If it's the photo angle then completely dismiss this.
    cheers
    Richie
    Jims 24th.jpg
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I can see where Ritchie is coming from, l hope it's the photo BUT I love it Jimbo, good on you.
    Jimbo likes this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Guys, it still a WIP and yes that right knee & foot alignment needs to be sorted out, hoping to get that done asap, I'm going to remove the right foot and gaiter and reposition it, thanks for your input which is very much appreciated.(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Surgery it is then Dr Jimbo

Get your paints out as well

Nap
    Geoff Charman likes this.
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Yep....Off with his foot and lower leg lol, to be honest I wasn't happy with it, so to be able to hear constructive honest comments from you guys is brilliant, it's one of the great things of our PF (y)
    And yes Kev the paints have got to come out now..all well overdue so time to get painting:)
    Cheers
    Jim with cutting tool in hand
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Nice one Jimbo ...your right that's what PF is about ...constructive honest comments ...within PF policy of course ..lol

Look forward to the post op update

....and your paints being used ....me I am off to push putty about a bit

Happy benchtime

Nap
  11. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Right I think I've just about got away with this one!...Right foot & gaiter cut off at the top of the gaiter, toe of the boot cut off....reattached the the gaiter & boot into the correct position in aline with the knee and the heel raised off the ground, toe reattached and fixed to the ground so it now looks like his heel is raised and he's carrying his weight on his toe, I think it looks much better now, why I didn't do this in the first place I don't Know?...Dohhh!:facepalm:
    Luckily I managed to reuse all the parts with just a little filling needed so a case of saved by the bell!:blackeye:
    Thanks for your input guys and I'm happy to hear any further comments regarding this little fellah's surgery.

Kev asked what else I had done with this apart from adding legs and tunic skirt..well I reworked the water bottle strap as I thought it was a little thin, scratch built the Oliver water bottle, sculpted a side bag and bayonet scabbard, drilled a couple of holes in the helmet where the helmet plate would have been removed,added the fore sights to the henry Martini plus sculpted the sling and swivels, also reworked the bayonet socket and added a cleaning rod, also sculpted his lower ammo pouch.

Also added two long service and good conduct stripes to his right lower sleeve and before anyone says they should be on the left sleeve, the 24th foot at the time of the Zulu wars wore the LS & GC stripes on the right, apparently a peculiarity to the 24th foot.

I'm also going to add a marksman badge but I'm not sure if the crossed rifles should be on the left or the right sleeve...any ideas Guys?
    Cheers
    Jim(y)
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Redcap, Scotty, Richie and 2 others like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jimbo

That's better mate

Ref the crossed rifles...this shows a DCM winner from the 24th ..slightly later but clearly shows the GC and crossed rifles position

Interesting he fought at Isandhlwana as Mtd Infantry

image.jpeg

Private John Power DCM

Power was in the 1st Battalion 24th and served, from 1877, in the Mounted Infantry under Lieutenant Browne VC and later, Major Russell (9th Lancers). In October 1878 he distinguished himself in a decisive action at Galetza Heights during the operations in West Griqualand. He also gained the DCM for distinguished conduct in the field on 28th March 1879 in the disastrous action when Buller's force at Hlobane was forced to descend the heights through Devil's Pass. Four VCs were won and five DCMs. He is named as one of the few MI survivors of Isandhlwana along with Privates Davis and Parry, also of the 1st/24th. He is photographed here with his medal in 1880 wearing the home service helmet which has the old badge of the 24th that was used on the shakos and on the foreign service helmet. He also has a marksman's badge on his left sleeve and a good conduct stripe on his right sleeve.

Hope this helps

Nap
    Redcap, Scotty and KenBoyle like this.
  13. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Kev..That's brilliant mate thanks for the info...Can't argue with a photo eh!...Crossed rifles on the left sleeve it is then(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Nap likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

I try to help mate ...get that putty out ..then paints..lol

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  15. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thats a belter Jim, well done mate. look forward to seeing it in the flesh too.
    Jimbo and Nap like this.
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cheers Kev...paints are coming out asap(y)

Thanks Bob, glad you like him...now his rickety leg is sorted..(y)
    Jim
    Viking Bob and Nap like this.
  17. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Cracking work Jim, I'm pleased you have done the realignment of the foot I was going to mention it then I continued down the thread.

Look forward to seeing him painted.

Geoff
    Jimbo likes this.
  18. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Geoff, Yep I'll hold my hand up to that one mate..a glaring mistake lol;)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Geoff Charman likes this.
  19. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim,
    That is so much better mate(y). Nice touch raising the heel too, looks so much more natural.
    cheers
    Richie
    Nap and Jimbo like this.
  20. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Richie, as you say he now looks more natural...(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Richie and Nap like this.