1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 24th Drummer boy....Dear mother, just crossed the Buffalo River!

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Richie, May 21, 2015.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I did a version of this on my vbench sometime back, called Dear Mother. Since then I have bought the master off Steve Leadley (Valiant) which was a Boer war drummer boy, Colesberg 1900. Thanks Steve for letting him go mate and a chance to breathe new life into him.(y)

The original body and base was a one piece construction, with only the head, drum and left hand separate. This resulted in mould lines which was understandable, but some in awkward place to clean, so I have re-engineered the master and started to re-sculpt the drummer boy to a 24th drummer boy.

As you can see from the photo's I have removed the upper torso and feet, I have started to re-sculpt the trousers and gaiters. I have also done two heads, one with a Glengarry and one with a foreign service helmet.

Still early days, but while I had the putty out on "Steady Lad", I thought I would crack on with him. The colour drum photo is a drum recovered from Isandlwana battlefield, a great reference for painting. All comments welcome.
    cheers
    Richie

Original Boer war drummer
    Boer war drummer boy.jpg CIMG8694.JPG CIMG8709.JPG CIMG8710.JPG CIMG8711.JPG CIMG8712.JPG CIMG8713.JPG Drum recovered from Isandlwana.jpg
    Mike S., Viking Bob, yeo_64 and 13 others like this.
  2. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    This is great, Richie...I can just imagine this young lad,far from home,struggling to write something legible, tongue sticking out the side of his mouth[ I used to do that!]:D

Cheers, Alan
    garyhiggins and Richie like this.
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Tell you what Ritchie ....... you deserve to have your work exhibited somewhere significant.
    You should also consider a dedicated blog (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    Huw63 and Richie like this.
  4. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some sharp work Richie! I look forward to seeing him painted up!

Joe
    Richie likes this.
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love it Ritchie - if fact when can I buy one! :)
    Richie likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Splendid work.

marc
    Richie likes this.
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Alan,
    Thanks mate, no tongue sticking out on this one as the original was modelled from the attached photo.

Hi Del,
    Thanks mate, I think a dedicated blog would be a lot of work for me to keep updated and fresh, but I never say never!

Hi Joe,
    I did paint a version some time back, but I rushed it and did not get the helmet right, so I will do another in the future.
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/dear-mother-just-crossed-the-buffalo-river.55348/

Hi DaddyO,
    Thanks, I'm glad you like him, I will get him cast in the near future and I will let you know when he is available.

Hi Marc,
    Thanks for looking mate and the thumbs up.

cheers
    Richie
    coles01s.jpg
  8. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    What a great photo! You've captured it very well(y)

Alan
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Alan,
    The original was sculpted by Steve Leadley, valiant on here. I just bought the master to convert him.
    cheers
    Richie
  10. Huw63 A Fixture

He really looks good Richie. Looking forward to seeing the end product.

Cheers

Huw
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An excellent conversion Richie, and quite a poigniant piece when you think about his probable fate at Isandlwana.

- Steve
  12. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Richie,
    That's a neat conversion, and updated a bit. Superb.
    Bob