1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

24 december 1818-1914-1944

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by jai, Dec 24, 2020.

1. jai A Fixture

Italy
    error in the title of the discussion ... the last date is 1943

For Christmas Eve why not talk about the song that perhaps best represents it?
    Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht, also known simply as Stille Nacht, whose first public performance took place on the night of December 24, 1818 during the Christmas Mass in the church of St. Nicholas in Oberndorf, near Salzburg performed by elementary teacher Franz Xaver Gruber and the priest Joseph Mohr (authors of the music and text respectively).
    Stnikola.jpg

The text was recited by Mohr already on the eve of 1816 in a territory that had not been spared by the recent Napoleonic wars, devastation was everywhere. The verses of the young priest were meant to be of comfort and hope to the prostrate population.
    The first draft was for choir and guitar, tradition has it that the church organ was unusable because the mice had ruined the bellows of the instrument.
    800px-Stille_nacht.jpg

Today it is one of the best known and best-known Christmas songs: over two billion people know it thanks also to Carl Mauracher, organ manufacturer from Zillertal, who, having taken the score, took it with him to Tyrol, where it was immediately widespread. . From this region every year there were many who set out to sell local handicrafts in neighboring villages. Since then they have also brought with them the notes of Silent Night.

Stille Nacht! Heilige Nacht!
    Alles schläft; einsam wacht
    Nur das traute hochheilige Paar.
    Holder Knab´ im lockigen Haar,
    Schlafe in himmlischer Ruh!
    Schlafe in himmlischer Ruh!
    Gottes Sohn! O wie lacht
    Lieb´ aus deinem göttlichen Mund,
    Da uns schlägt die rettende Stund´,
    Jesus in deiner Geburt!
    Jesus in deiner Geburt!
    Die der Welt Heil gebracht,
    Aus des Himmels goldenen Höhn
    Uns der Gnaden Fülle läßt seh´n
    Jesum in Menschengestalt,
    Jesum in Menschengestalt
    Wo sich heut' alle Macht
    Väterlicher Liebe ergoss
    Und als Bruder huldvoll umschloss
    Jesus die Völker der Welt,
    Jesus die Völker der Welt.
    Lange schon uns bedacht,
    Als der Herr vom Grimme befreit,
    In der Väter urgrauer Zeit
    Aller Welt Schonung verhieß,
    Aller Welt Schonung verhieß.
    Hirten erst kundgemacht
    Durch der Engel Alleluja.
    Tönt es laut bei Ferne und Nah:
    Jesus, der Retter ist da!
    Jesus, der Retter ist da!

keep it going
  2. jai A Fixture

Italy
    1914I think the episode is too well known to have to tell the story told in an optimal way by the film Joyeux Noël which I am convinced many, if not all of us, have had the opportunity to see at least once.
    440e132c827022190edc11a1f19b0eafff0603c9_hq.jpg

christmas-truce-getty-566449031.jpg

featurefront.jpg
  3. jai A Fixture

Italy
    24 DECEMBER 1943
    "Dear Kitty, when someone comes outside, with the wind in their clothes and the cold in their face, I would like to stick my head under the covers so as not to think:" When will we be allowed to breathe some fresh air again? "
    Believe me, when you've been locked up for a year and a half, you get days when you can't take it anymore.
    I may be unjust and ungrateful, but feelings cannot be repressed.
    I would like to ride a bicycle, dance, whistle, look at the world, feel young, know that I am free, yet I don't have to point this out because, just think, if all eight of us would complain and make a disgruntled face, where will we go to to finish?
    Sometimes I ask myself: "Is there no one who can understand that, Jewish or non-Jewish, I am just a little girl with a great need to have fun and be happy?"

anne-frank-her-diary.jpg
  4. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Nice Jai..if only we could call a truce to all the divisiveness and narrow minded hate that pervades these days
  5. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada