1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

20ws18 radio and denison smock

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by 1969, Jun 28, 2010.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some images of the radio set, this set would have been used for operation Market Garden and was man packable. the dimmensions for the main body of the set are : 430mm high x 260mm wide x 360mm depth.

Attached Files:

Chris Oldfield likes this.
  2. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    some more images

Attached Files:

3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    some more,

Attached Files:

4. Squeakyclean Member

United-Kingdom
    These are for Phil but I'll post them here for everyone's benefit. Feel free to PM or ask any questions. There's some of the two smock patterns and a couple of event pictures for dio reference...

First up is the first pattern Denison Smock (this is the printed pattern variant, there is also an earlier variant where the pattern was painted on to the material with a mop before the smock was sewn together, I can provide photos of this if wanted). The first pattern smock would've been seen from '42 right through to the end of the war and beyond. NOTE: no press-studs to retain the tail at the back of the smock, no tightening tabs on the cuffs, elasticated cuffs, tapered sleeves and collar with half zip.

Individuals would often cut off the tail from the back of the smock (although this was seen as damaging Military property), and its believed that the loose tail went some way towards the Red Devils been given their nickname after the fighting in North Africa along with the famous red beret of course.

Attached Files:

5. Squeakyclean Member

United-Kingdom
    Next up we have the second pattern Denison Smock. This smock would've been seen towards the end of the war in Europe, examples have been seen at Normandy but its very rare and there are many arguments concerning their use at Arnhem but photo's do exist, they would've been seen in greater numbers at the crossing of the Rhine Operation Varsity in March 1945.

NOTE: Retaining press-studs to hold tail up at rear of smock, no elasticated cuffs (but sock tops were added by individuals), tightening tabs at the wrist/cuff, collar with half zip as on first pattern smock.

Full zips were added to both smocks and is sometimes known as 'the officers smock'. Usually the zip was taken from the Paratroopers oversmock and was usually longer than the Denison and so would hang down by about 2 inches (of course some officers might have paid an off camp taylor to make the modification in which case the zip would've fitted perfectly, some officers even had the smock 'tailored' to remove the shapelessness.

Attached Files:

6. Squeakyclean Member

United-Kingdom
    Finally, just a few pictures from an event I attended this weekend in the UK, some of you might find them useful...

Attached Files:

7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Steve,
    Thanks for posting those images which brought back memories of my B3/B2 Regimental Signals course in 1981:(.......
    I bet you need the touch of a surgeon to tune that thing in - the A13 & C13 were quite enough for me, thank you. Even with the locks on the tuning controls, they still wandered off frequency by miles & I bet that thing was even more temperamental. Nice to see it in such good condition though, the batteries look like brand new (probably lay undiscovered in a Mobilisation Store somewhere for over half a century!)
    Cheers,
    Chris
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My pleasure Chris, this set was actually working and the guy who owned it let me listen in on someone broadcasting in the U.S, some sort of religious 24 hour broadcast that has gone on for years and years non stop apparently.
    Signals wasnt my strong point in the army, just couldnt get my head around BATCO, very confusing !!! much easier to just shout across the field :)

Steve(y)
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great photos Steve. I'm with you on the sigs front, too much static and nodding off.:p
    Carl.
  10. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    Useful reference pics. The first pattern smock is by far the most common one seen in wartime photos of Market-Garden.