1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 200mm U.S. Airborne 30 Cal. Mitches.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, May 5, 2013.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some more WIP pics of this figure for Mitches Military Models

Uniform is a blend of German Camo Biege and Deck Tan.
    Olive drab for the patches.
    The leather is done in oils over acrylics and still will get some ink washes.

There's still a fair bit of work to do yet but he's a lot easier than multi-cam.

See what you think,
    Gells

[IMG]

[IMG]
    pmfs, Grod, sd0324 and 6 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looking sharp mate (y)

Steve
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Steve.
    I need an emblem for the helmet. Anyone post me pic of one that would've been used?

Gells
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    found this not sure if it's pukka or not
    [IMG]

this one is at least from the era
    [IMG]
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate, looking sweet. Particularly like the leather. One thing I found when searching for refs, the jacket and trousers were often of a slightly different shade, with the trousers commonly being the darker of the two.
    Just a thought to help break up such a large area of colour.

Cheers

Ron
  6. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Gells, I like this figure alot, and your version looks excellent so far. Love the face, and leather shoulder holster. Here is a helmet emblem from the 505th PIR 82nd Airborne 'Rampant Lions'. The site I found it on is: http://www.warhats.com/ww2-american-stencils.html Alot of options Gells for your Paratrooper. Regards, SG:)(y)(y) 6414545_orig.jpg
  7. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Sturm, It looks just like the Scottish Lion Rampart, great site I looked everywhere and found nowt.
    I do like the red skull and crossbones.
    Ta,

Gells.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Grant.
    Loads on it here.
    Carl.(y)
  9. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Actually for 82nd during that time you don't need and emblem on the helmet. Just the shoulder tab one would be enough. If that would save you any time painting.
  10. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gells,

Cracking looking figure mate!

What ever you do don't randomly select a helmet design as you'll be kicking yourself later on. All the research has already been done to make it accurate, just spent five minutes checking it out.

First up: choose your division, 101st or 82nd.

If it's 101st go to Mark Bando's site here:

http://www.101airborneww2.com/

82nd I've not looked into, but I'm sure other Planeteers can chip in.

When Moz first showed this figure it always suggested to me to be representative of Walter 'Smokey' Gordon.

If you can get hold of a copy of 'The way we were: Cpl. Forrest Guth' by Michel de Trez there is a description of Smokey's entrance into Normandy described on pages 50-51.

He states 'As I was the tallest man in the platoon I was designated machine gunner …..I never found my assistant gunner. When I later ran into him he had thrown away the tripod, so I had to fire the weapon from a holding position'

Smokey was part of 3rd platoon, E company (Band of Brothers fame) of 506th PIR (Parachute Infantry Regiment) displaying the helmet insignia of a white ace of spades emblem. If I were you this is the emblem I would use for this superbly painted figure.

I can supply more info if you'd like, just shout.

All the best,
    Jon.
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Watching this one closely Gells to quote ann appropriate Americanism the Face is "Awesome "
    this one looks like it will be an absolute belter .

Ron

PS acrylics over oils ! is this a new technique or a typo :)
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That face is superbe painted.
    Like the olive drab color.

marc
  13. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh Ronaldo, you're sharp for this time of the morning big fella. :D
    Ta for letting me know, edited.

Brilliant info Jon, many thanks. This guy is for the box so it will need to be 82nd Airborne.

Cheers,

Gells
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Gells,

Really nice work mate.

I'd support Ron's comments about the trousers and jacket being slightly different shades. In combat the trousers get dirty much faster because they have more contact with the ground and soldiers being slovenly creatures, they tend to wipe their hands on the pants whenever they get dirty.

The jacket tends to remain cleaner than the trousers and therefore wears out at a slower rate. Field uniforms will typically be replaced at a ratio of one jacket for every 3/4 pairs of trousers simply because of the hard wear and tear that trousers usually cope with.
  15. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Tony,
    I have tried before to change the tones of jacket and trousers and to me it just looked like sloppy painting as if the painter hasn't done them at the same time.
    I might give the bottoms more of a wash than the jacket but I'll wait and see.

Thanks very much for the heads up,

Gells
  16. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nothing wrong about acrylics over oils Ron T, as long as the oils are dry. Use it all the time for metals.

Ron
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wasn't slagging it RC :) More of an enquiry :D

RT
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Didn't think you were mate. Just know you like picking up new ideas (y)

Ron
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You are right there Ron ,always trying to improve technique and there is no better place than here also Gells has a lot up his sleeve :)
  20. moz A Fixture

England
    Nice painting mate!what about a St.Georges cross for the helmet, like this one.
    1.jpg