1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 200mm Royal Fusiliers (plus Legs)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wings5797, Jan 29, 2013.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I could imagine the whole scene now, i think the drummer boy looking at the officer is going to be a great "portrait" , looking really good Keith .
    I am not an expert in British uniforms but it looks historically accurate to me, i like the datail on the shako.
    What material you've use for the cords?
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hello Daniel,
    Thank you for your kind comments My friend.
    The shako plates were all very similar showing the Kings cypher, GR reversed, with the regimental number in roman numerals below. In this case VII for the seventh regiment of foot.
    The cords are made from silver plated copper wire. It is meant to be used for womens craft jewelery making. The tassels are made from milliput.
    All the best,
    Keith

IMG_6354.JPG
    ChaosCossack and mil-mart like this.
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    I am glad to see you have picked this one up again mate, looks terrific. The pose and stance between the two figures just says it all and tells the story. You sure were right about the drum looks much better on a drummer boy than under a boot. I sure Pete will be looking down on you giving you a big thumbs up.
    cheers
    Richie
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    WTF? I posted some pics of a Drummers sword (repro) here and now it's gone FFS. hope these are some use Keith
    "
    Drummer's Sword
    While the Sergeant's sword was a mark of rank, the Drummer's sword was his only defence. Since many of the Drummers and Fifers were younger and smaller in stature, it was necessary for the blades of these swords either be short or curved like light cavalry sabres so they did not drag on the ground.
    Pictorial evidence from the late 18th century shows a variety of regimental patterns being used. In 1796 a standard pattern was selected for the Army's Drummers that had a 24 inch straight blade. Aside from the shorter blade it was identical to the Sergeant's pattern. Again it is likely this sword was carried by "the Drums" of some regiments prior to this date.
    As with the sergeant's sword, this sword was designed after an original. The well-tempered, high-carbon steel blade is the regulation 24 inches length. The hilt is exactly like the sergeant's which has a simple fixed shell guard hilt, a D guard, brass wire wrapped grip, and an urn-shaped pommel. The black leather scabbard with brass throat piece and chape (tip) completes this beautiful yet functional small sword"

Steve

[IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Wings5797 likes this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Mate,
    I do hope that Pete is keeping a watchful eye on me with this one. It does feel like he is sometimes. Strangely I did have a discussion with him as I did with you about the head gear. He said that when he did the full length version he wanted to give an option of the Belgique Cap. I did not think that I could do justice to this type of shako but I am quietly happy with the result. A little question for you Richie to help me through yet another mini dilemma ........Do I put the officer in a shako as well? I think that either is historically acceptable.
    Thank you yet again for you positive comments on my stuff Richie, it always helps push me along.
    Speak soon,
    Keith
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Many thanks Steve,
    This is just the ticket for this drummer. The grip, handle and guard looks to be very similar to that carried by Pete's Officer. It will look well on this figure at 24" length.
    I found Victorian Bandsmen swords like they were going out of fashion but failed miserably on the 1812 front. I am in your debt my friend.
    All the very best Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    You would be better asking someone who is more clued up on the Napoleonic wars than me. Sorry mate not my area to be honest.
    cheers
    Richie
    Wings5797 likes this.
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    No worries Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    It's no problem Keith while I'm no expert on the Napoleonic war I do have some resources regarding it and they mainly showbicornes but I did find this rather dashing surgeon's head gear which a bit of artistic licence might make yours even more unique no68

Steve
    nap.jpg
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. Tim Stevens Member

England
    Keith,

I have been following this with interest, having completed the subsequent full figure myself.

With regards to the Belgic Shako, this was introduced in about 1812 according to my references and therefore is not suitable for the Officer, as he is dressed in the Long Tailcoat that dates from the 1790's through to 1812 or there about. It is of course possible that the short jacket that replaced the long may have been rejected but the head dress adopted, however, I think the bicorn is more appropriate to the jacket portrayed. Only my opinion of course. ;)

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

Tim.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks Mate, I do like this head gear. Will give this one serious concideration.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Tim,
    Thanks for your view on this subject. I think that you are correct here with the bicorn and long tailed coat.
    1812 appears to be a major date for changes in dress. I hope that you will like the finished piece.
    Thanks Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    1812 was the "model" date for the new uniforms but it would have taken time for them to be issued. Regiments in Spain wouldn't have gotten the new gear until they rotated back to their home barracks. Officers were also given some slack as to uniform regulations while in the field. It's not unlikely that oversized bicorns and 'elegant' long tailed coats could even have been seen as late as Waterloo. I can see some spoiled, gentry-born officer going out of his way to stand apart from the rank and file by bashing together a uniform of his own liking.
    Let me check the Franklin book and get back to you.

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  14. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    I looked through Franklin and almost came to the same conclusion that you said in this post.
    As you say I think that the regulation change dates can take years to come into realisation. I really like your spoiled, gentry-born officer scenario. It takes away the pressure for accuracy;).
    Speak soon mate,
    Cheers,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I love that Franklin book... probably the most detailed uniform reference I've read. Dare I say even better than Rouselotte's treatment of Napoleonic French uniforms. At least in the way it's layed out... giving detail for every regiment individually as well as covering the typical clothing and equipment.

Parade ground adherence to uniform regulations is just a pipedream once an army takes the field.

Colin
    Wings5797 and Helm like this.
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I totally agree Colin, it is a great point of reference for this era.
    I also like the foibles like Steve posted as with the surgeon's 'straw hat' etc.
    Many thanks for your good advice Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Just as a point of interest it would have taken even longer for the new uniform regs to filter through to battalions stationed even further overseas, for example troops based in North America during the War of 1812.

Roger.

PS I read that somewhere. :smug:
  18. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Roger,
    This would fit with the RRF. They did serve in North America and Canada then on to the West Indies before joining the battle in fhe Peninsula. They did march to Belgium in 1815 but arrived too late for Waterloo.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    IMG_6396.JPG IMG_6397.JPG IMG_6398.JPG IMG_6399.JPG IMG_6402.JPG

Hi Guys,
    Just a brief up date on the drummer in this piece,
    Many thanks to Steve (Helm) for the research on the bandsmans sword.
    Cheers,
    Keith

Attached Files:

Richie, ChaosCossack and Don like this.
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks well Keith really looking forward to it being painted up

Steve