1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

200mm Nam Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Picked up a book the other day named "Combat Photagraphers" which has a lot of cool pics from the Vietnam War. I found this image and it cought my eye and I decided to make a small weekend project out of it. The face is basically done, still need to clean it up as no polishing has been done yet. Also need to add the moustache (and finish upper lip) and eyebrows and a little tweaking here and there.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. jaime Member

Spain
    Anderes...WOW! I like it and I would like to paint it ;)
    Cheers
    Jaime
  3. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Nice touch Anders.Very good transformation

Stephen Mallia
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys! I am trying to tweak it some more to get it to look more like the picture, it is hard!

Im working on the boonie hat as we speak and I will post pictures later on tonight of the progress.
  5. Pete_H New Member

Anders,
    In the picture, the soldier looks like he's biting something out on the left side of his mouth. Perhaps opening the mouth a bit and adding whatever it is he's biting would add character to the bust.
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Pete!

Yeah, he is chewing on a piece of straw or grass ;) I might open up the mouth a tad more as mine is little more closed then his :angry:
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders, he is looking really good, you are doing an outstanding job.
    This could be your best piece to date. ;)

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,

Roc. :)
  8. Pete_H New Member

Anders,
    Perhaps you can get away with this: reduce the length of the teeth just enough to fit a piece of grass in there. At least he's chewing it and not smoking it ;)
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Roc :)

Pete,

I think there is sufficient space for a little piece of grass, it almost looks like he is picking his teeth more then chewing on it, but my dude will be chewing on it during a break from humpin the jungle.
  10. Pete_H New Member

Anders - makes sense, go for it! (y)
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys,

Here is some more progress. I made a boonie hat, which was a major pain to do. Took forever and a day (well good 4 hours of effective sculpting anyways). It still needs to be neated up and I think the foilage loops needs to be either redone or thinned down, will do this when cleaning the rest up. Next step will be to finish the face and start the body and finish the hand.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the hand started. Please note that this is the first time Im doing a hand in this scale! It is a core of Magic Sculpt then the fingers were added with Apoxie and then carved, still a lot to do but its a start.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I guess that Photobucket is down or somethign as none of the images are showing anymore :(

Anyways, here is the bust after a weekends work. Still a lot to do on the arm and hand, some more facaial details as well as a pocket on the shirt.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Anders,my friend, (y) (y) on the bust so far !! Lots of character there ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  15. jaime Member

Spain
    Hi Anders. Perfect. I have no words (y)
  16. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Looks great Anders, maybe you should put some hair in the fronthead...
    cheers
    Ernest
  17. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Anders,

I think you have done a nice job so far but I would just like to say that I think the bust looks nicer without the arm. :eek: I think if you just added the straw to his mouth it would be better than the arm and hand. This is just my thought.

Joe
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for the feedback.

The arm is oversized and I will be doing some serious carving on it tonight to see if it looks any better.

The hair on the gead isnt done yet :) I did a trial run and will finish that detail up soon as well.

Joe,

I can see what you are saying, and I agree to a point. I think the whole thing will work better with the arm, as the guy basically have only one shoulder as I cut the other one off to focus on the facial expression, and just a quarter of the guy, kind of like the pic. I don't know yet, but I have to have the hand for sure, atleast thats what me thinks! Will work more on the arm and see how it turns out.
  19. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Anders, it looks terrific my friend. The face is full of character. Regardless of how much a pain it was to sculpt that cap, it turned out great. Seriously. The arm, I think it needs to be there. It just looks like it might be hanging down too far. Maybe it's me or maybe it's the angle of the pic. But, without a doubt, include it with your bust. Show us your updated pics of it after your'e done carving on it. Keep up the good (your usual) work (y) .

Jim Patrick
  20. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Here is another update. Not much has been done, mainly some carving on the arm and some hair added to the head. I think the arm looks a lot better now, but maybe still needs a little tweaking here and there and ofcourse needs to be smoothed out and the folds finalized.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]