1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 200mm Coldstream Guard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    I recieved my Maurice Corry Coldstream Guard the other day. After a bit of cleaning up I got to put some paint on him. It's all acrylics as usual and the face is nearly done, the rest has a long way to go. The eyes don't have their coat of clear yet cause I'm not quite happy with them I think the irises might be a touch too big. Let me know what you think. Also are there any Coldstream Guard aficionados out there that can help me with uniform details, a google search seems to throw up a few variations and none that seem to match the sculpt. Any help would be great.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Attached Files:

Erbay likes this.
  2. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Andrew.
    Great start!
    In the 200mm figure by which I'm this manufacturer, too, try.
    I liked this figure, too, but package art was monotonous, so I didn't know with which color it should be applied.
    I'd like to consult your work.

Mitsutaka.
  3. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Coming along nicely. One thing to catch before you progress is that fact that the irises as you have painted them are too large. It is common for humans to over emphasize this expressive feature of our face, including making them larger than they actually are.
  4. marius'mules New Member

United-States
    The flesh tones of the face are excellent, to my eye, it looks like a real face.---the irises do look like they are a tad to big though, and they don't appear to be quite symmetrical in relation to each other.

What is about the uniformology of the Cold Stream Gaurds, that you specifacly want to know about?
  5. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks guys,
    There are lots of things on the uniform that I'm unsure of. There is a flap of fabric on the back of the hat that I'm not sure of. The colour of the water bottle and some of the details on the back of the coat. I have a fee pics if the front of the uniform but couldn't find anything that showed details on the back of the uniform.

Cheers,
    Andrew.
  6. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Andrew,

I've sent you a PM.
  7. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi all, did a little more work today on the jacket it has taken me a while to get the red highlighted and shaded to where I was happy but I think it's there. Any comments or critique are always welcome.

Cheers,
    Andrew.

Attached Files:

8. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Bit of an update, slight tweaking on the jacket. I'm starting to think the red might be a little too bright. Worked on the white straps and details on the hat.
    Thanks for looking,

Andrew

Attached Files:

9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Coming along nicely Andrew. I think the shako cords should be white. Green were for the light company and the fig doesn't have light coy. shoulder wings or bugle horn badge on the shako.
    I'm at sea at the moment so I can't check up on my information but someone should be able to confirm whether I'm correct or not.

Roger
  10. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Roger, I'm bound to make a ton of mistakes like that on this one. So many little differences in companies. I've seen white pants and grey ones, I'm guessing grey for the light company, cause just my luck I'm going to have to paint more white, just when I thought the end of the white was near.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Your welcome Andrew. If I was at home where my books are I could help you out a bit better. I'm sure you won't have long to wait before a |Napoleonic buff comes along to keep you on the straight and narrow. :)

Roger
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Whoops, forgot to say, grey pants for winter, white for summer. I'm not sure which were worn by the Coldstreams at Waterloo though.
  13. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Awesome, so I could get away with grey, would be a nice change from the white. Unless there is something else that says summer uniform.
    Thanks Roger.
  14. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Generally British Napoleonic period troops wore grey pants on campaign in 1815. However some sources & I can't remember where suggest that the Guards wore white. I think when I paint my version of this figure I'll go with grey.

Geoff
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm sure in the Osprey Wellington's Foot Guards by P Haythornthwaite it shows both being worn at Waterloo but I can't remember which regt. wore which.

Roger
  16. marius'mules New Member

United-States
    I've read, Grey wool was the primary trouser color for most British regiments on continental Europe---White cotton/muslin trousers were more of the norm in N.America and the tropics, but several regiments in N.America during The War Of 1812 wore grey trousers also e.g; The Royal Scotts.
  17. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Andrew,

If you need access to that book, I can help you there as I did with the other references.

Let me know.
  18. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks for the info Gents, I'll go with the grey pants. I wasn't looking forward to white pants it's such a large area to paint on this figure.

Andrew
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Probably a wise choice Andrew, having said that the white ones probably weren't that white after a few days campaigning. Just something to think about. :)

Roger.
  20. chailey Active Member

England
    The 1st Foot Guards were reported to have worn white trousers tucked into black gaiters, but it is most likely the Coldstreams wore grey, the red jacket is a little too bright for this period, the description given in most reference material is 'brick red', I find it a difficult colour to paint convincingly in any scale, but if your using oils you could try a cadmium red /light red mix, (w&n).