1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

200mm Argyll and Sutherland Highlander

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Scotty, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good to see you have squeezed some time to play with this fellow again Scotty.
    The face looks very well proportioned and nicely sculpted. You have managed to get character into the head which will be really evident when the ears are attached.
    How are you presenting him: parade ground, seated portrait, action pose etc.
    If I can help at all just drop me a PM.
    I am in the UK for a couple of weeks so replies may be a little slower but I will reply.
    Very good restart and I'm with you all the way Mate.
    Keith
    anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A really positive step forward Scotty.
    wishing you well for the next steps.

Paul.
    anstontyke, Scotty and Wings5797 like this.
  3. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Stuck some ears on him, unfortunately working days tomorrow so back in the box he goes! Lol, thanks for the input guys, Keith there's a photo on the 1st page I'm working to but he'll be a full Corporal with the medals of a ten year guy up to the amalgamation in 2006 (I'm also making him a wee bit taller)
    Scotty.
    IMAG0232_1.jpg IMAG0233_1.jpg IMAG0234_1.jpg
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks so much better.

Paul.
    anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Ah I had forgotten this mini Scotty.
    The ears look good and really work well,
    Keith
    anstontyke, peedee and Scotty like this.
  6. Windy Active Member

England

That's bloody good! I've never been able to sculpt anything even vaguely resembling a human. Its an enviable skill!

Windy
    anstontyke, Scotty and peedee like this.
  7. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks very much mate, I was quite pleased with him after nearly a year away from sculpting. I need to crack on with the body though, a lot still to do.
    Thanks for the encouragement, all the best.
    Scotty.
    anstontyke, napoleonpeart and peedee like this.
  8. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I'm working on the medals just because I can do them without dragging the other stuff out. I'm trying out making them from paper and coating them with PVA to give them some body. I'm thinking that at this scale I can paint details a little thicker rather than sculpting stuff. We will see how this goes.
    IMAG0377.jpg
    This was my first idea but it didn't really work. They wouldn't overlap convincingly.
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I'm going with this I think.
    IMAG0379.jpg
    Cut out ready to coat with PVA, anybody done this before?
    IMAG0380.jpg
    Note that I'm not doing all these medals just the ones that go up to 2006 when the figure is set. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Scotty.
    stoffy01, anstontyke and Wings5797 like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Scotty

What an intersting technique , not done it before , in this scale I would use magi sculpt for each individual medal , overlaying them where needed ...I find that easier !

You could use as you say use paint to build up the details as well...

Whatever way you choose ...plenty of coffee and patience !

Happy meddling

LOL

Nap
    anstontyke, Wings5797 and Scotty like this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Scotty
    Great scale drawing idea. Will you add layers to get the differing thicknesses?

For what it's worth this is what I do....
    Like Nap, but I use Milliput,
    Get a tube of the inner diameter that you need.
    Roll out a thin piece of Milliput and punch out the coins blowing each one out as you go.
    Once hardened add the detail to the coins.
    To get the ribbons again roll out Milliput and with a craft knife cut in strips to match the coins.
    With the craft blade impress the texture of the rib and and impress the coin into its position.
    When hardened add the clasp a and bars

All the very best
    Keith
    anstontyke, napoleonpeart and Scotty like this.
  12. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I've cut out the individual medals and stuck them together which has given them more depth, more work required though I think. Thanks for the advice guys, I may have to go down that route if I'm not happy with this.
    IMAG0381.jpg
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For medals, I use plasticard and a leather hole punch, which is readily available in Teso and hardware stores. I use plasticard for the ribbons, clasps and bars. I have done a selection of medals on their ribbons which are available from Gordon Mitchell. as folows:

British Army Medals.jpg

Best wishes,

Mike
    stoffy01, Scotty, mick3272 and 2 others like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Mike

Are those the actual castings painted up ...they look great if not it's a great idea of Gordon's to get them done
    Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  15. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Mike, that leather punch is what I needed, I was going to use plastic card but I had nothing to cut circles out. This seems to be working, I just need to thicken some bits up and add bars. Is that supposed to say Teso in your post? I don't know what that is. Thanks for the input.
    Scotty.
  16. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The photos are of the real medals for reference purposes. I made the medals for the Guards and RM figures I did for Gordon. He has them on a resin sprue - you cut off and glue on as required.

200mm scots guard.jpg

Mike
    stoffy01, napoleonpeart and Scotty like this.
  17. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Mike.
    Are the medals court mounted, or side by side.
    Mick
    Scotty likes this.
  18. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I meant Tesco for the hole punch. The individual medals are court mounted, which seems the norm for dress uniforms and for Household troops.

Mike
  19. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland

Thanks Mike, I may have to get one of those. I believe you're only supposed to have your medals court mounted if you've been presented to the Queen. Argylls and the Household Div (among others) do it due to the Royal connections. It does look much smarter too.
  20. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Possibly so, but court mounting seems more common than swing mounting these days.

Mike
    Scotty and martin tabony like this.