1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

200mm Argyll and Sutherland Highlander

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Scotty, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    It's just outside the Chapel in Edinburgh Castle. I'm sure that's what you meant.;)
    Has anybody any pointers on the belt? I Haven't baked any of this yet.
    Cheers,
    Scotty.
    anstontyke and Wings5797 like this.
  2. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh? ok.
    I genuinely thought it was the top area of Stirling castle mate.

I think I would make the brass belt to buckle connector loops in wire and fasten/glue in place onto the tunic surface, and then sculpt the belt and buckle over them leaving the brass curves showing at top n bottom.
    This method gives you a vertical leading edge to sculpt onto each belt end at the front and a space either side of the plate.
    Was yours an all nylon web or the two piece canvas web?
    If it's the three piece you would also have to do the same with a slim loop behind the right hip too.
    I do hope that makes some sense.

Paul
    anstontyke and Scotty like this.
  3. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    To be fair, you had very little background to go on because of my wee fat body filling the frame. Your castle recognition skills are impressive (y) Thanks for the pointers, that's the sort of int I was looking for.
    Cheers buddy.
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  4. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I've been playing with Chavant just to get my hand in with the modelling. I used plastic balls for the eyes, they're too big but it was just an experiment. It is very rough but i was thinking i could smooth out the sculpey once baked. A worthwhile thing to do i thought, i know he looks a bit strange but i was pleased with this early attempt. Any tips are most welcome. CAM01097.jpg CAM01101.jpg

Attached Files:

5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great progress mate, nothing wrong with that glengarry
    either Scotty.

Paul.
  6. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I loaded these up from my phone, everything is in focus except the head! Bah!
    Is this the best way to do this? Rough it in then bake it and sand/carve till I'm happy?
    Thanks Paul.
    anstontyke, Wings5797 and peedee like this.
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have done it that way, It was easier for me having been shown by Alan Ball.
    You can always add more putty if you go too far.

Paul.
  8. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent, thanks Paul. This is getting done in really slow time but hopefully that means it'll be
    right-ish.
    Scotty.
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    So far so good Scotty.
    Like you and Paul I spend ages sanding and polishing the heads. To finish off I use one of the wife's 4 grade nail sanding blocks. they are on a sponge block that follow the curves very well.
    Keep up the good work
    Keith
  10. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Keith, I don't think there are any of those kicking around the house but I'll look into it. My daughter has an electric nail sander but I don't think she'll part with it.
    Scotty.
    anstontyke and Wings5797 like this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I like the sound of the electric sander........must have a word with my Mr's
    anstontyke, jakbwrhr and Scotty like this.
  12. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    In an earlier photo I showed the legs cut off with the foil core showing does anyone know if these will bake ok like this? I've heard horror stories of sculpts exploding due to air trapped inside. I can't see how it would, if anything these would act like chimneys wouldn't they?
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Scotty.
    anstontyke likes this.
  13. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think there's probably more chance of it cracking than exploding. AlthoughI have read those stories too, it's never happened to me.

Whenever I bake Sculpey, I put it into a cold oven and let it come up to temperature before starting the timer. When baking time is up I just switch the oven off and leave the door shut for another half hour or so to let it cool down naturally. I've never had a problem doing it this way, not even a crack.
  14. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks mate, that's a worry I could do without. I'd never heard about putting it in a cold oven, I'll try that.
    Scotty.
    anstontyke and Eludia like this.
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think the idea is to avoid thermal shock. Let the clay come up to temperature gradually, bake it, then let it cool gradually.
  16. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Look forward to this Scotty, but don't keep us in suspense mate, who's the young lad in the photo?
    Cheers
    Gordon
  17. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Gordon. It looks like a young George Clooney.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Crikey that was before he dropped the M at the start of his surname I guess? :D

Paul.
    anstontyke, Eludia and Scotty like this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Scotty ,

All credit to you for this , great subject as well .....and if those legs "explode" ...you have a BUST......bargain...lol

Watching with interest

Nap
  20. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Cheers Nap, every silver lining has a cloud! Lol.
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.