1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 200mm 82nd airborne (Maurice Corry).

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Lew J, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all, this is something I'm slowly working through at the mo.

It's painted in acrylics took me seven and a half hours to paint the face, but enjoyed every minute watching him come to life.

Hope you all like it.

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Re: 120mm 82nd airborne (Maurice Corry).

Very nice painted face.
    I believe that the pictures don't do justice. It seems all the same color

Marc
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom

It looks like it just has a basecoat on with no highlights or shadows. The lips also seem to be the same colour as the rest of the face.
    It looks very clean though.
    The right strap looks a little funny you might want to soak that in hot water and bend it to a more realistic shape. Unles it's the gun that's making it go that way of course.

Thanks for sharing.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom

The eyes look great. I have to agree, you could get away with some more colour variation. Nothing too extreme, as it's large scale.
    Nice clean work none the less,
    Carl.
  5. TonyT Active Member

United-Kingdom

I think that looks spot on and life like, you look at some faces on models and they have been painted so the guy looks like he is wearing lipstick and has so many shades on his face he looks like a 10 day old corpse or something from the living dead........... This looks like a real face, you don't have bright red cheeks or lips, you don't have shadows round eyes or "24 oclock" shadows on the jaw line or a totally un-natural gaunt look.
    Well done that man, he gets my vote, ( with a little jealousy thrown in too) I wish mine were so good or life like. A face that looks like a face in my eyes.
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I'm sorry if you've taken umbridge at what I have said and I apologise I realised it WAS peer critique. However I just wanted to offer some advice on how he might improve as I take it that's what a large part of the forum is about. I didn't mean to be offensive or cruel....just honest.

Oh and BTW I do have dark shadows on my eyes as I'm a Nurse who works hard and never gets enough sleep so causes me to have a gaunt look also. I am a fully grown, red blooded man and even after I have shaved I still have a 5 oclock shadow....I just checked my mirror.
    Sincerest apologies,
    Grant
  7. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand

I like the face/flesh, it is easier to may comments when the head is on the painted body.
    For the me the eyes look a little to big or that he looks a little cross eyed not sure which one.

Faces/painted flesh does take alot of time.
    Nice work so far

Ryally
    http://www.brisbanemodelbuilder.com/
  8. marius'mules New Member

United-States

At the scale the face is; I think the flesh tones look good. It looks as if one of the pupils is off center in relation to the other one; which gives the impression that one eye is looking up while the other is looking strait.
  9. TonyT Active Member

United-Kingdom

Grant,

You have misread my post, I was not inferring or commenting on anything in your post, I was simply commenting that it actually looks like a real life face as opposed to some you see on the web as a whole that look garish and dead, the colours looking slighty weak I put down to the photograph, I know as I get it myself on mine and struggle to get a photo that reflects the model, photobucket I find actually washes out colours too, and its only when you redownload them they look like the images you uploaded.. You have nothing to aplogise for and I am stumped as to why you thought I was taking umbridge at your post, to be honest I hadn't even read it.

Tony
  10. captfue Active Member

United-States

Nice paint work. I agree most of the time the cambra dosn't show all the shades an contrast.
  11. Edorta A Fixture

Spain

I agree, sometimes we are used to see many faces painted with the famous
    zenithal painting, with a lot of contrast and many shades of color, the result is precious but not very realistic, and quite unnatural.
    I think sometimes, we yield too much to the prevailing fashions.

I ´ve the opinion that everyone has to find their own way, taking from here and there to paint his way.

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
    marius'mules likes this.
  12. rheath Active Member

South-Africa

Agreed, flesh tones are good, eyes need going back to IMO direction and definition, helmet colour is spot on. Good work so far.;)
  13. rheath Active Member

South-Africa

Skin tone is great Tony, but in my experience those shadows around the upper and lower lids are a must , it looks otherwise as if all in one tone, which looks very unrealistic or as if something is missing. I often look at peoples skin tones in films or on TV and it has helped a lot, especially those little dots of reddish shades just below the cheek bones, sets it off nicely.;)
  14. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom

Hi all, thanks for the critiques it's nice to get honest opinions from fellow modellers instead of friends and family saying it's the best thing they've ever seen.
    In response to colour and tonal issues the picture is somewhat washed out (annoyingly) as I no longer have my brothers pro camera with macro lens to use, just a standard with some basic macro function but hey ho.

I do agree with most of what was said but I have to say I do prefer a more subtle skin at this scale, I do try to have more obvious tonal changes but usually end up blending them out, as my style seems to be more of a pale look. But trust me when I say in realty his face is warmer in areas and not one flat colour.

Re: helmet strap, gun is why such a curve if when it's more finished it looks wrong this will be rectified.

I shall endeavour to give my soldiers more colour in future, think it might be because I usually paint Germans in winter hence the more pale look.
  15. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Lewis,
    Try adding a tiny wee touch of blue to skin tones for that cold look.
    Regards,
    Grant
  16. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom

Hi all, I have done a little work on warming his face.
    Think better light and a little more colour has improved it, don't think I will darken round the eyes too much more as I think it's making him look a little maniacal.

Attached Files:

17. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Yup you can definitely see more contrast now.
  18. gendegaia Active Member

Chile

Good work Lewis. what mix did you use on this helmet.
  19. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom

The helmet colour is a 2:1 mix of Vallejo U.S olive green & olive drab, with a watered down wash of flat earth over the top (once the green is dry).
  20. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom

Hi all,
    know its been a while since an update kinda got busy on other things and had a run of stag dos but this is were I'm at.

Before anyone mentions the uniform colour choice, don't want to cause offence but bored of seeing tan coloured ones all the time.
    Also as far as I can tell from research uniforms around D-day time were a greenish grey as they were reasonably new.

Parts of uniform have the shading done and others have no shading at all webbing is only base coat same with shoulder holster, 45 is finished.

Hope you all like, and I'll get some more done soon.

Attached Files: