1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

2006 Pittsburgh ares IPMS show

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Mongo Mel, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Just wanted to let everyone know, it's less than one month now to the next Pittsburgh "3 Rivers IPMS" annual model show.

Pittsburgh show link

It's being held on March 25th and is at the same location as last year, Upper Saint Clair High School..

To let you know. we do things a little differently ( especially for an IPMS show).
    For the past few years now we've used the "Open Judging" system instead of the traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd method. We do this as a way of giving acknowledgement to all levels of modeling skills, instead of rewarding only the best out there.

If you're able to make it please be sure to look me up.

Thanks,
    Craig
  2. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    It's nice to see IPMS trying the open system of judging. How are the "typical" IPMS members and show attendees taking it? Popular? Unpopular? Mixed reactions?
  3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Steve,
    I think that most of the people that come to our show are okay with it. I haven't heard any negative comments first hand. We had some problems at last years show at award time that caused some unhappiness but it had nothing to do with the open judging aspect.
    We believe we've ironed out the problem and expect things to much smoother this year :lol:

We're hosting the Region 4 two day regional next year (2007) and we've received the OK to use the Open Judging for it as well :)

Craig
  4. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Wow, the open system at a regional? I'm surprised IPMS will allow that. But good for you! IPMS can learn a lot from us figure wonks.
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Craig, thanks for posting the information.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, iI'll keep the show in mind it's only a few hours away.~Gary
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Gary,
    It would be great if you could come to our show.
    Having any of your work on the figure tables would bring an air of respectability that mine never could :lol: :lol:
    Seriously, I hope that you can make it down. If you do, please be sure to look me up. It'd be good to see you again.
    Craig
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig,

OOPS! just noticed the date March 25, now I only have to convince the wife that an IPMS show would be a wonderful way to celebrate our Anniversary. ;) ~Gary
  9. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    gary,
    I'm now going to use my superb powers of observation and attemp to "read between the lines" on your last post.

Let's see now.....
    hmmm....hmmm...unng...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I won't be at the show
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did I get it right? :lol:

Well, maybe you can make it down for the regional next yer.
    C'ya at MFCA
    Craig
  10. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Just wanted to bump this up so I could remind you all about the show.
    It's just 2 days away now. Sure hope to see some of you there.
    Thanks,
    Craig
  11. AJLaFleche Active Member

How'd you get the IPMS powers to allow you to go open at the regional after the rule that regionals had to follow national rules? (I was/have been one of the big supporters for a move to open, but it's not well received by the powers that be. I was very unhappy with a couple people's beahvior at the open discussion at Phoenix in 04.) I'd also be interested in how you "retrain" 1-2-3 judges to open judging on short notic eor does your club have adequate membership/volunteerism to do it all themselves?
  12. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Al,
    My club has been doing the open system for several years now at our local shows. So, I'd have to guess that our track record with it must have helped. I wasn't there when our guys proposed it but I understand that they (he?) had no problem with the idea. I'll see if I can find out any more on the story.
    There were a couple of guys in the club back then that were familiar with the open concept. One of them had been involved heavily with MFCA and offered to serve as head judge/coach to educate the club members. We used a meeting or 2 to conduct judging seminars and that really helped everyone get educated. The club supplies probably 95% of the judges for the show so that outside help doesn't get overwhelmed with having to figure it out. The first couple of years were a real learning process but it goes pretty smoothly now.
    When we did a regional (our first and only so far) a couple of years age I think we did a pretty good job of it. It was still 1, 2, 3 but the slide presentation we did during the post dinner awards ceremory went off with out a hitch. That may have helped our cause a bit as well.
    Good luck getting your club to try it.
    Craig
  13. Kingtiger3 New Member

United-States
    Hey Mongo Mel!

This is my first post on PF.

I was at the Regional you hosted in Pittsburgh quite a few years ago and to say it went fine is an understatement! That was, by far, the best Regional contest I've ever been to!!!

I'm not sure I'll make it this weekend but I'll be there in '07! Open judging at a regional! You gotta love it!

Thanks,
    Bill
    http://www.itzproductions.com